Contract 1: And the Award Goes to...

July 23, 1982, Indian Dunes, California

"My God..." He watched Loe trudge across the shrubbery with the two children in hand. The foliage swatted and slowed them, buffered by the helicopter beaming its spotlight around. Stroking his grey beard, he leaned further back in his director's seat and brought the megaphone to his mouth. "Lower! Bring it lower!"

Reeking of sweat, the pilot cautiously descended. The night only illuminated through the surrounding pyrotechnics. Through them, he saw the tall, artificial treetops. The sooner the shot ended, the better it would turn, he felt.

"Rodney!" One of the set designers grimaced as it drifted dangerously low. He tapped the director's shoulder, pointing at the height. "Tell him to fly higher! If he goes any lower, everything's gonna go to shit!"

In an instant, he furrowed his eyes, staring at the designer like he said something stupid. Before he retaliated, however, something snapped. The noise rattled across the whole set, followed by a deafening whir.

Everything happened in the blink of an eye. The helicopter spun and swept the foliage--including Loe and the child actors--with it. The propeller spun off, bouncing and cutting across the shrubbery like butter. It all stopped, with metal crashing against the ground, kicking up clouds of smoke and dirt. Muffled by the catastrophe, the parents were first to scream.

Provided with stationary firefighters, it didn't take long for help to arrive on the scene. The film crew shouted and ran across the set towards the disaster. They grabbed onto the tangled shrub props and pried. The firefighters shoved them aside to work, hosing the flames dead.

Everyone could only watch as the firefighters moved. They helped the pilot of the helicopter out first. They called out for Loe to respond. There was hope they were somewhere in the carnage, buried beneath the helicopter and the set props.

Ripping through the foliage, one of the firefighters froze as he tore a gaping hole in the mass. The firefighters crowded and slowed. The film crew who caught sight of them stumbled backward, feeling their insides rise. Unable to move their legs, they keeled over and vomited.

Far from the disaster, Rodney White called his lawyer.

30 years later

"This is Iris Quinn, reporting live at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood! Here I stand before the influx of renowned actors and directors alike, all eager to attend this year's Oscars Award ceremony!"

The reporter plugged her words when someone walked between her and the camera. Firming her grip on the microphone, she scowled at the bald man. "Cut! Watch where you're going!"

"Don't mind him, Iris," the camerawoman said. "It was probably just an accident. Let's continue."

She huffed. "Alright, Pam, how about we move somewhere less crowded?" When Iris glanced around for the man, he was already long gone.

At the entrance, he held his invitation up for the guard. He stepped right through.

"Welcome to Hollywood, 47," his earpiece chimed. "Your target is Rodney White, lifelong director well-known for works such as Wild Witches, The Sky's Way, Dying Years, and most infamously, Beyond Judgement. During the film's production, the above helicopter's propeller got caught in the tree props, tangling the entire set of foliage with actor Loe Peterson and two child actors still inside. They were promptly crushed and mangled to death.

"The incident led to years of civil and criminal action and was responsible for the introduction of new procedures and safety standards in the filmmaking industry. Rodney White was charged with manslaughter but ultimately acquitted with the help of the law firm Morgan, Yates & Kohn. Despite the incident, Rodney went on to direct more films that found great success, winning him awards and later fame.