Chapter 2

"Mr. John?"

A man suddenly appeared beside him and was eyeing John with concern.

"Yes?" John replied.

"Sir I'm Kevin Davis. I'm with the local police department. Can we talk for a moment?"

John stood up from his seat, not taking his eyes off the cop. Why was the cop asking to talk to him? John wondered.

Seeing the bewildered expression on John's face, Kevin added, "It's just a standard procedure sir. Since this was a case of a car accident, it's routine for us to investigate."

"Oh alright," John replied, feeling a little relieved.

"The umm- patient is-" asked Kevin.

"My daughter. Her name is Ruby. Ruby Rose John." said John.

"How did you know of the accident?"

"I got a call from the hospital today morning. Someone had found her car by the road and had brought her to the hospital. Her bag and ID were with her. That's how they found me."

"Is Ruby working or is she in college?"

"She is in college."

"Which one?"

"MFU. May Flower University."

"May Flower University? Isn't that up north?"

"Yes," replied John.

Getting into May Flower University was something to be extremely proud of, especially since Ruby was from a small town like theirs. May Flower had its own set of medical institute, art institute, law college, aviation institute and a set of hospital franchises. A vast set of the population trusted and were dependent on them. They were involved in philanthropic activities of almost every kind one could think of. Needless to say, they play a major role in the development of the country's economy. It was really hard getting into May Flower University.

Ruby was sent to training classes from the age of thirteen. She has had tuitions, attended seminars and had weekend classes. She had taken part in the local community events and a few events held by May Flower. She has been a volunteer in many of the programs held by the state. She had taken multiple internships and even tutored kids. She had been the school topper for the past four years, a feat unmatched in the history of the school. Ruby had worked really hard to secure a place in this reputed institution. John was extremely proud.

John's mind wandered back to those days. They were really worried for a few weeks when the college hadn't called back after her interview. They had wondered what might have gone wrong. Her scores? Her presentation at the interview? Maybe she might have said something wrong? One after the other, questions and doubts were being born in his brain. He had wondered if he could have handled ruby's life better, had her mother been around.

He still remembers the day her call letter had finally arrived.

Ruby was out, it was John who received the mail. Without waiting for her, John had opened the envelope and read its content. And when Ruby had arrived later, he handed it to her, waiting to see the expression on her face.

While Ruby stood rooted to the spot rereading that piece of paper, John couldn't contain his excitement. He hugged her tightly and told her how proud he was. The very same day they were off to shopping for her new things. New clothes, notebooks, a new laptop, bags, shoes; basically everything required for the new phase of her life. His only resentment was her mother, Rose. His only disappointment.

Kevin hummed in response and this broke John's trail of thoughts. He realised he was smiling slightly.

"Was Ruby supposed to be paying a visit last night?" Asked Kevin.