Chapter 7

Lee was paying complete attention to Ruby as was evident to Hannah. Though Hannah felt a bit taken aback, the girl named Lakshmi chuckled at the scene. She said, "Welcome to an amazing year at May Flower University."

The party went on for another hour. Hannah was sure Maya would have left by now. But she could see Sheila and Mary getting bored without her. But she didn't want to leave the company of Laksh and Lee.

Hannah tried her best to talk to Lee and Laksh. She was a delight. Her best party blouse, ironed hair and top notch make up made her a sight for sore eyes. She was sure that a lot of eyes were on her. She had caught a lot of boys checking her out as she walked in. She was even catcalled on the way. It had made her night. But all this would have been secondary achievements if Lee would have given her the attention she wanted.

But Lee was in full conversation with Ruby, not taking his eyes off her. Ruby was flirting back with equal interest. Playfully touching his arm, offering him drink, she knew what she was doing. First Ted and now Lee. Ruby really had no limits.

"Where were you?" Hannah turned her head and saw Laksh asking a now returned Sara, who had gone missing for a few minutes.

"I was upstairs. I was just organising their event. You know, getting it started," Sara winked.

"Getting what started?" asked Ruby. Even Hannah was curious.

Sara eyed her for a second, leaned in and said, "Stuff." She placed her forefinger on her lips and gestured to keep it quiet. Then she said, "Do you want to try?"

Hannah watched Ruby to see her response. Ruby, on the other hand, looked at Lee and then at Hannah. She shook her head and said, "Not tonight. I don't think this is a night I'm willing to forget."

"You are one of those good girls, aren't you?" Lee chuckled at Laksh's remark.

A few more minutes went by. Music blared loud in the speakers and Hannah had too many a drink down her throat. While returning from the washroom, she heard a strange noise. She rushed to the living room immediately, but on the way itself, she saw many panicking.

"Lower the volume!" Yelled a voice on top of all the noise.

A neighbour had showed up at the party and was threatening to call the cops. He kept yelling about the loud volume on the speakers. Though most were fleeing, very few stayed back and tried to handle the situation, possibly the owner of the house. Hannah did not wait to see who the owner was, though she wanted to, but ran to find Lee and the others. But she couldn't find anyone on the spot she had left them. Suddenly a hand caught her arm and she turned to see that it was Sheila.

"We need to leave before he calls the cops! Apparently there is weed in this house. Come on!" Said Sheila as she dragged Hannah behind her. Mary was following them close behind. "Where is Ruby and the others?" she asked Sheila amidst their flight.

"Ruby and who else? I don't know Hannah. She'll be fine. She can come on her own. Let's just go," Sheila replied. It was difficult to navigate with everyone running about randomly in all directions. Hannah even tripped and fell twice, hurting her ankle the second time.

Hannah frantically looked around and then something caught her eye. She saw Ruby hurrying down the stairs. But what shocked her was the person who was holding her hand, leading the way and saving her from the mess. It was Lee.

Hannah, Sheila and Mary returned to their hostel within an hour. Maya was already in the room when Hannah had walked in.

"Back so soon? Did the boys not give you any attention? Or was the party as boring as it was when I had left?" Maya asked mockingly, leaning against the headboard, her computer resting on her lap.