Episode Seven, Part 7: ✓

Episode Seven, Part 7:The Great Escape

Elara ran through the night, not even sure of which direction she was running in, or what she was looking for. She just knew that she needed to get as far as she could and pray that there would be someone able to help. Her brother's life was on the line.

So consumed by her fear, she momentarily forgot the previous circumstances enforced upon her by Lyra, and when she saw her walking ahead, a spark of relief carried her feet over towards her. A longing of familiarity in the unrecognizable world that burned through all the wrongdoings of her friend.

"Lyra!" She called out, stumbling into the girl's arms as she reached her. A moment passed and she pulled away, looking up at her friend as if begging that she had changed her mind. But Lyra looked down at Ell and there was no drop of sympathy in her eyes, not even something to say that she was glad to see her alive. "Lyra, please..." But no other words would come out, nothing she could say to get her on her side.

"Where's Ares?" Lyra's voice was cold but calm. Unfazed by the horror of the young girl she had known her entire life.

"Mom has him." She answered. "She... She hurt him, Lyra. He told me to go."

"So where were you going?" Lyra was being smart - biding her time, asking questions to distract the young girl from the fact that she was still working against her.

"I-I don't know, he just told me to keep running. But he needs help and I don't know what to do. Fabian took Harlow somewhere, but I don't know where they are-"

"Did they say where he was taking him? Somewhere nearby until morning?"

Elara closed her eyes and tried to remember what Ares has said to Fabian. She could sense that Lyra had some understanding of the landscape, and was orientated to where they were. If she confessed that they were heading to Basilisk, then Elara would be able to follow Lyra over there - find Wynn and Quill, tell them about Ares. She knew the consequences it could bring: that Fabian and Harlow might be found, that Lyra would send other Blood Riders on their way, but she knew the reality was that Ares would have no other choice but to head back with their mum, and that meant that they might never see him again.

"They're going to Basilisk. To find the girl who opened the Bunker. Ares said she'll get help."

Lyra's eyes focused on Elara, looking for a twitch or sign that she was lying. Perhaps the Lyra she knew wasn't all gone, and her old self fought its way back to believe the girl standing before her, a decision that would take them to their family.

///

Ares had managed to crawl over to the wall, leaning himself against the cave for support. Every time his mother drifted in his direction, something burned inside him. Fear or betrayal, they both tasted the same.

"Where's Elara?" Martha spoke up. Ares noticed that she had now sat down against one of the logs near the entrance, facing the wall that Ares was by. She didn't seem to be focusing on anything in particular, but her voice felt detached from her - monotone, emotionless.

Discomfort crawled under Ares' skin. He didn't know what his mother meant by that, or how to answer. In fact, she didn't even feel like his mother. She hadn't for a while.

"Have you seen her?"

"Mom..."

"Do you know where Wynn is? I need to tell him something."

Ares could feel his pulse picking up, and despite the agony in his side, he pushed himself to stand - the blood beginning to seep through the jacket held on his wound. "Mom, what are you talking about? You know where Wynn is, he's with Quill..."