Chapter One: Waking Up

My eyes opened fast. I flung off the sheets and was met with cold air and eerie silence. I looked around, I was in a room painted white with nothing inside but my bed, a night stand, a small tv, a few chairs, and some medical equipment. It was a hospital room. But why? I panicked and looked down at my body to find a cast on my arm, some scrapes on my legs, and what looks like burns on my chest, Defibulator marks. But why exactly.
Then it hit me. Just like that bus did.
That's why I was here! I remembered it fully. I was in my car driving my son to school and then I ran a stoplight... That's when it happened. Since it was early in the morning all I saw was two matching headlights heading straight for us. Then a cry had escaped from my young boys mouth after the trucks impact and again. as we flipped and then crashed into the pavement. I wish I had seen the stop sign. I wish I had seen the bus coming. I wish- No I pray that my son is okay.
I sat up and glanced out my room's open door to see into the room across and was greeted with, an empty bed. I had to find him, I had to know he was okay, so I got up. I began to limp to the door then I felt a tug. I was hooked up to some beeping contraption I hadn't noticed before, I tugged on the cord as if to pull it out but it wouldn't budge. I twirled back around and pulled the thing behind me. I then with all the strength I had left tried to run from room, to room, to room, but they were all empty. I began to weep as I looked back into the room I had started in.
Where is he?! I wondered sliding onto my knees. I backed up against the wall and looked at the ground. I tried to drown out my thoughts with my sobs.
Why? Why something so simple yet horrifiying?! People die everyday, am I dead? Who would've seen this coming? This is so unexpected! Jimmy doesn't deserve this, I thought to myself as my cheeks became soaked with my own tears.
Then, I froze. My crying stopped and I glanced further down the hall. I caught a glimpse. of black dress shoes. Who was this? What's going on? I had so many questions going through my mind, but I only said one.
Without looking up from the ground I loudly choked out, "Am I dead?"
He didn't respond so I tilted my head and restated my question.
"Am, I dead?" I said one more time my eyes darting back to the ground. The man frowned and began to slowly walk up to me.
"Close to it," he responded. My eyes widened and I looked deep into his eyes so I could see if he was lying or not. He wore an old brown suit with thin vertical stripes on it. He had a young face but years of wisdom in his eyes.
"What does that mean?" I asked letting out a small sob.
"Your in between the land of the living and the land of the dead," he said slyly.
"So am I dying?" I said getting stressed. That's all I wanted to know.
"In a way," he said trailing off. I looked at him and could see pity in his eyes as he opened his mouth to inform me what I was doing here.
"Your in, a coma."