Chapter 9. Best of the bunch.

Cadence slept.
As much as someone could sleep in a place like this.
In this past week (or however long it had been), her fear has eased somewhat. Her nightmares weren't so scary now, but they were still there.

Marcus had allowed one man in to her cell since their long discussion.

When he broke the news, he'd begged for forgiveness, saying he couldn't keep her hidden any longer. He said it was necessary to keep his father off his back.
It broke Cadence's heart when he told her, but that had been the deal from the beginning. He said he couldn't stop it.
It may have been part of some ridiculous plan to placate her, but what did that matter?
It didn't ease the sickening wave of revulsion and fear though.

It turned out that this particular paying customer looked so weak and feeble, it looked like a strong breeze could have knocked him over.
The man tried to exert his power over her, but his orders seemed more like requests.
Cadence stripped off her trousers, but pleaded to be allowed to keep the baggy T-shirt.
The little old man gave in eventually, finally agreeing how cold the air was.
Instead, he satisfied himself with just putting his hands underneath the fabric.
It was a useless barrier, but the T-shirt offered a glimmer of self respect.
The fact that he didn't use the restrains was also a bonus. But Cadence doubted he would have been strong enough the subdue her into putting them on.

With his trousers undone and pushed down to his knees, his hands fumbled over her skin.
But Cadence saw the frustration in him, and it wasn't anything to do with her.
He grumbled, looking down in annoyance.
This was not going to be the happy ending he'd hoped for.

The old guy couldn't keep it up, and he left in defeat, grumbling to himself.
Cadence wondered later, if Marcus picked him for that reason.
If the rest of them were like that, then she may just be able to cope, just.

Marcus had been to see her almost everyday. After their long talks, Cadence no longer felt any fear or hatred towards him. Just pity.

On one particular occasion, he had opened up further. He told her some of the terrible things he'd done.
He was right, they had raised bile to her throat.

He told her of rival gang members he'd tied up and tortured into submission. How he hoped that he might one day catch his mother's killer.
The threats he'd made against family members of those who stood in his father's way.
Of gun fights of drug deals gone wrong.
He'd also told her of times he'd gone against his father, and the consequences he'd suffered.

James used mind games, blackmail and brute force to keep people in check. He sounded almost infallible.

There was a knock at Cadence's door, and Marcus edged inside, looking down at his feet.

"I'm so sorry. Are you okay?." He muttered.

Cay sighed before she answered, choosing her words carefully. She didn't want to look weak, this place had already stripped her of everything else.
"I'm fine, he didn't hit me. You told me right from the start, you couldn't stop them all. It's not easy, but you have helped me."

Marcus sank into the bed, still looking apprehensive. "I'm trying my best, but you're right, it's hard.
I swear my dad can smell dishonesty. I'm surprised I've been able to keep him away this long."

Cay reached over to take his hand.
She could see the regret in Marcus's eyes. After everything he'd told her, she'd come to realise that he had his own prison to live in.

She pulled herself back to the here and now, as he squeezed her hand.

He looked deep into her eyes, before his body crumpled. He lay on his side, with his head in Cadence's lap.