Chapter 4

Days went by and neither DI Sugars nor Sergeant Carla Lostin could find a good lead.

Carla had interviewed all the families of the victims, dug up every little bit of dirt about every single victim, and gone on three stake-outs to check out possible suspects. So far, nothing all that useful. She had learned a lot about Jane, Suzanne, and Mary, but nothing linking their cases to each other. Every single lead seemed to come to a dead end in a matter of hours. She had even at one point suspected Sugars of being responsible for committing the murders! But there was no proof to back it up, as much as she disliked him already.

Sugars had gone through a third of the folder containing information about the case and the victims, and...well...chatted with Carlos, his buddy, the rest of the time. In Carla's words, he was "basically useless" but Sugars doesn't know that.

Finally, one morning, Sugars was looking through the folder and found something useful. And thank goodness too, because little did he know, the commissioner would be paying them a visit this morning. Sugars called Carla from his office even though she was only a five feet walk from his door and she impatiently told him to leave her to do her work. Sighing, Sugars got up and went to knock on Carla's door.

"I think I've got a lead, so open up!" Sugars said, growing impatient after a few minutes.

Finally, the door swung open and Carla asked him what the lead was.

"You see, I looked at each of the victim's pictures," Sugars began to explain, "And something caught my eye. Let me show you."

Sugars opened the folder and brought up the first woman's picture, "I heard you mentioning that the killer never raped any of the women. Yet he cleans whatever wound he inflicted on them that killed them and dresses them up nicely. Why? I assume the symbol is so everyone will know he's the mastermind behind all of them, but that still begs my previous question. Think about it, if he was abused non-sexually in the past, he most likely would have beaten the women up or something, but the women look like they haven't been touched. So my theory is-"

"Good morning, commissioner!" Officers and sergeants alike stood up to greet the commissioner.

The commissioner took off his cap and nodded at the them, then made his way over to Sugars and Carla.

"DI Sugars, Sergeant Carla Lostin," the commissioner nodded at them.

Sugars cleared his throat, "Oh uh commissioner! I was just explaining a lead I might have to Sergeant Carla."

"I see," the commissioner kept his focus on Sugars, "Well don't stop just because I'm here."

"R-right," Sugars directed his attention toward Carla, "My theory is that our killer likes to be in charge, but not in the way you would think. I think he likes to take care of them, be the one who they come to."

"Why doesn't he get a girlfriend instead then?" Carla blurted out, covering her mouth immediately after, "Sorry."

"We could see if any of these women have put down or refused anyone in the past, or maybe even abuse on a woman he cared for...." Sugars finished.

"Kind of a stretch but...it's worth a try," Carla nodded approvingly.

The commissioner simply nodded slowly, considering DI Sugars' theory, "That's an interesting theory. Well good luck pursuing your lead. I will be on my way now. I have other business to attend to."

He put on his cap, walked out the door, and just like that, as soon as he came, the commissioner was gone.

Sergeant Carla looked at Sugars strangely, "Sir, did you become someone else overnight? I think I like this version of you better."

DI Sugars smirked, "Whatever you say. I knew the commissioner was coming today so I figured I'd save us from the humiliation. Also, yesterday he suspended my right to call Carlos."

"Wait, really?" Carla looked at Sugars incredulously, then burst out laughing, clapping her hand over her mouth to stifle her laughter.

"Glad I could entertain you, now are we going to pursue the lead or not?" Sugars asked.

"Look at you, sir, taking charge," Carla punched his arm playfully, then turning serious, "I'm taking charge again from now on."