Chapter 10

"Your mother is stable and will be discharged shortly," Dr. Williams, a well-known and respected doctor at Virginia Mason hospital, informed DI Jones.

"Thank you, doctor," Jones nodded curtly and took her mother's hand in hers.

The doctor nodded back and quickly checked his patient's vitals one more time before leaving to attend to other patients.

"Hey mom, we're going home," Jones said, patting her mother's hand.

Later that day, DI Jones set her mother in bed with a cup of tea and told her to call her if she needed anything.

"Thank you, honey," she smiled and Jones nodded, then made her way to the living room to check the latest news.

"Five murders, goodness...." Jones picked up her phone and dialed Sergeant Carla Lostin's number.

"Hello?" Sergeant Carla's voice came through.

"Hello, this is DI Jones," Jones clarified, "The commissioner gave me your number."

"Oh! DI Jones, what a pleasure!"

"I understand that as someone who is no longer on the case, I have no permission to access information on the case, but what, may I ask, is your progress so far?" Jones asked hopefully.

Fortunately, Sergeant Carla was only a bit hesitant before filling Jones in. Jones supposed having a reputation as the best DI the world has ever known had its perks.

"I see," Jones thought, "Thank you, Sergeant Lostin."

"Carla is fine! Or Sergeant Carla if you want to keep things more professional," Carla corrected.

"My apologies, Sergeant Carla."

"Oh no worries! I'm actually on my way to interview a suspect, but you can call me anytime!"

"I'll remember that," Jones said before hanging up.

She wished she were still on the case. Little did Jones know, she soon would be.

Jones checked in on her mother every hour, refilling her cup, opening the windows to make sure it wasn't too hot, and in general making sure everything was good. Eventually nightfall came and Jones got up to make her seventh check-up on her mother. Seeing that her mother was asleep, Jones decided not to bother her. However, she stopped in her tracks and just stood in the bedroom's doorway for a minute. Something was off. Turning around slowly, Jones' eyes widened until they couldn't get any wider.

"No...no, no, NO!"