Chapter 5

The next day, Sergeant Carla and DI Sugars searched through news articles, records, whatever they could find. At one point, Carla left the station and met up with some of Sugars' connections because Sugars claimed he was "too busy" to go. At the end of the day, Sergeant Carla had, through the victims' drug usage and help and information from Sugars' connections, found someone who all of the victims knew. She was a drug dealer and made a fair amount of money doing so. The police left her alone because she had connections, many of them. If the police needed something ASAP, she could step right in under the condition that they leave her to her business. If she wanted someone to suffer, they suffered. Maybe the victims got involved with her in the wrong way? Carla and Sugars decided they'd go tomorrow to talk to her.

So the next day, Carla drove them to Jessica Clyden's residence. And oh my was it fancy. Carla was in awe, Sugars didn't seem to care all that much. Just looking at it from across the street was jaw-dropping. It was three floors, the walls were glass and it was HUGE.

Carla and Sugars got out of the car and they crossed the street, walking along Jessica's front garden stone path.

"I just remembered, sir," Sergeant Carla stopped in her tracks, "When I found the case folder while cleaning out the office, it was wide open on the desk. DI Jones isn't that careless."

DI Sugars didn't turn around, but he stopped walking as well, "Well, you know what they say, you think you do, but you never really know who a person really is."

"Wow...I think that's the most useful thing you've said so far," Carla pretended to be awed.

It seemed like...there was a story behind that phrase. Sugars wasn't all that wrong, but he wasn't all that right either.

"Yeah, thanks," Sugars said sarcastically. He started walking again and Carla followed.

"So the plan is to ask her what her relationship with all of the victims was?" Sugars asked.

"Yes," Carla confirmed, ringing Jessica's doorbell and looking up in awe at how big the house is.

"Quit drooling," Sugars chortled, "I used to have a house like this you know."

Carla resisted the urge to glare at him, "Used to...?"

Before Sugars could say anything, the door opened and Jessica stood before them, "Hello, sorry for the wait, my dog kept refusing to sit on his pillow. Now who are you? Police?"

"I am DI Sugars and this is-"

Jessica started laughing uncontrollably, drowning the rest of Sugars' sentence, "DI Sugars! I remember you! Such a silly name, but so memorable!"

"Jessica Clyden, we need to speak with you," Carla cut in. She would get mad at Sugars for not telling her he knew Jessica later. Right now they had important business to attend to.

"Oh! And who are you dear?" Jessica directed her question toward Carla.

Carla smiled warmly, "I am Sergeant Carla Lostin."

Was it just her or did Jessica get friendlier after she recognized DI Sugars?

"Come on in!" Jessica ushered them in and led them over to a plush couch, "Excuse the mess, please sit!"

Carla looked around. The room was spotless. She felt dirty just being in such a rich, clean environment.

"Right...should I call you Jessica?" Carla asked.

"Oh yes, but Jessi is fine too!" Jessica smiled and offered them some drinks, "Would you two like anything?"

"Nah," Sugars stretched out his legs and propped them up on the spotless coffee table that has probably never seen feet in its entire lifespan.

But to her surprise, Jessica didn't say anything, "Alright, Jessi, did you know any of the victims?"

"Victims...?"

"Yes, I'm sorry for assuming you watch the news. Did you know Jane Cutters, Suzanne Hilltop, or Mary Beast?" Carla took out her phone to take notes of the conversation.

"No, I'm afraid not," Jessica pursed her lips, "I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help."

"Let me put it this way," Sugars suddenly jumped into the conversation, "We know you know them. Now we would like to know what your relationship with them was? You watch the news, you know they were murdered."

"Well maybe I used to watch the news, but I don't anymore! And pardon your attitude! It's horrific!" Jessica crossed her arms and held her head high.

"So you don't deny knowing them?" Sugars mimicked Jessica and Carla almost snorted.

"Tune it down a bit," Carla whispered, "We don't want her to report us for harassing her."

"Pfft, this is the only way you get information out of this woman," Sugars looked at Jessica intensely.

"No," Jessica shot back an intense look of her own, "I do not know them, I have no relationship with them whatsoever. I am sorry to hear the news of their murder."

"You, sorry? Whatever, let's go," Sugars got up to leave but Carla didn't go. Instead, she leaned forward to look Jessica in the eye.

"I know what you do here, every single cop knows and one day, there's going to be a cop who's not going to keep their mouth shut," and with that, Carla stood up, patted down her clothing, and made her grand exit.