Chapter 14

"Yes, they needed help," Jessica sighed and Carla sat back down on the plush couch, "I give each of my clients the option to come and spill their problems to me with my word that it will remain between us. With the condition that they purchase drugs monthly for a year of course."

"Did they all do it?" Carla got out her notepad and pencil and starting rapidly jotting down what Jessica was saying.

They were finally getting somewhere.

"Yes."

"Can you disclose what they told you? Please understand this is for the good cause of helping to solve their murder," Carla hoped that would persuade her.

Jessica once again sighed, "Oh dear, I guess so."

"Jane's mother had just died. She told me she's naturally a blonde but she keeps dying her hair a strawberry brown color in memory of her mother. Her mother liked this model who had strawberry brown hair."

"Suzanne's brother had been abusing her and she sought a way to escape that and block it out of her memory."

"Mary had just lost her prestigious job, as she described it, and needed money. Our deal was a bit different. She didn't do drugs. She delivered drugs for me. Her name used to be Matilda. She changed it after she stopped delivering drugs for me."

"Oh! And the old woman who had just died? What's her name...Leanne!"

That caught Carla off guard, "Leanne? She did drugs?"

What a revelation. Why did this case keep getting more and more complicated by the minute, Carla wondered.

"Oh yes, a lot, may I add," Jessica seemed to get lost for a moment before she continued, "Many, many years ago. She didn't tell me much since I didn't have the problem spilling deal I have now, but from what I understand, she lost her entire career."

"Do you know what career?"

"A model," Jessica looked Sergeant Carla in the eye, "The most beautiful model of her time."

Silence.

After a couple of moments, Carla finished recording the information and broke the silence.

"Is it just a coincidence that they all got their drugs from you?" Carla pondered aloud.

"Well I am one of the biggest suppliers on the market, if not the biggest," Jessica seemed proud, "So it's pretty plausible."

"I see...." Sergeant Carla put her notepad and pencil away. She smiled and nodded at Jessica, "Jessi, thank you so much."

Jessica smiled back, a more genuine, warming smile than her previous ones, "Anytime, dear."

Even if Jessica was a bit...twisted, she wasn't the worst person out there, and Sergeant Carla Lostin was glad to have Jessica on her team. Was she getting sucked into the manipulation of Jessica? Carla chuckled at the thought as she climbed into her car. Nah, it went pretty well.