Chapter 2

This is my first attempt ever in writing a story. It is unedited. Feel free to point out any mistakes. Let me know what you guys think about the story. I hope you enjoy it so far =) -Raine.
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

"Please, can you recheck my application? I'm sure we can work something out. Miss, this is very important to me, to my family!" William pleaded to the woman.

He had come to the bank as he planned. He'd never thought that walking through the building's front door can make him so nervous and anxious. The last time he ever felt so was when Johanna's giving birth to their youngest child, James. The fifteen minutes of waiting for his number to be called seems like hours. During the waiting, his heart never stop praying for a miracle. He'd never pray so much in a short amount of time. He needs miracle. He needs it now.

"I'm sorry Mr.Pierce. Your application does not meet our standard requirements. You're currently not working and your account balance is less than our minimum standard for you to be eligible for our personal loan. Also, your person of choice for your guarantor needs to have a job. She can't be a housewife. It also stated here that you already took a loan from another bank three years ago... to pay for your daughter's study fee. I regret to tell you that this is not possible. I wish you all the best and good luck." The woman explained.

William listened to the woman with a pained heart. Not giving up, he tried pleading to the woman once again.

"Please, just help me. Let me talk to the person in charge. Call him. Let him know that I'm here. I can wait all day if he's busy."

Judging from his desperate tone, the woman knew that the middle aged man in front of him clearly need this application to go through. She had deal with him a few times, he seems like good man. She can't help but wonder what had happened to him that made him so desperate for money, but it is not her place to ask. After all, she is just a bank worker.

"Mr.Pierce, I-"

Something must have catched the woman's attention as she didn't continue her sentence. She looked past him, her eyes became big with recognition and she slightly bow her head. With a confused expression, William turned around to see what, or rather who is standing behind him. His eyes met a woman, perhaps fifteen years older than him, but she looked firm and strong despite her age. The way she brings herself tells people that she's full of authority. William suddenly feels intimidated by this woman. He took a quick glance at her, noticing her sharp dark suit and expensive shoes. A pearl necklace circling her neck with matching earrings on her earlobes. Behind her stood two men in suits. One carrying a briefcase, which William assumed to be hers and the other just stand straight with eyes alert.

"I can't help but overhear the conversation, Mr.Pierce. How about we talk over the matter in my office?" Didn't give a chance for William to reply, she addressed the young woman, "Thank you, Martha. Mr. Pierce will come with me now. You can go back to your work."

"All right, Ma'am."

Who is this woman? She clearly has the authority around here. William was hoping to see the manager, but she's sure holds a higher position than that. Can she really help him? But the question is why would she help someone ordinary like him? With a puzzled thought, he followed the older woman to an elevator situated at the end of the hall.

Once the elevator reached the top floor, they entered a big office through a doubled door. William's eyes wandered to his surrounding. He has been to many nice offices during his working years, but never as nice as this. The cozy feeling of the office is masked by all the dark furnitures in it, creating a corporat look. Top floor. Big office. This woman probably owns the bank! He gulped, sensing his throat going dry at his recent discovery.