Chapter 1

"Hey honey. Off to work?" Johanna asked her eldest daughter, Nadine when she saw her walking down the stairs.

"Yeap. Gotta go early today." Nadine replied to her mother while tying her hair into a sleek high ponytail.

" Okayh, have some breakfast before you go, and why do you always tie your hair like that? It's prettier when you wear it down." Her mother asked.

"Because.. " Nadine paused to pull the chair in front of her and sit down at the dining table.

"I don't want the kids to pull them. They tend to do that you know... and I love my hair so much that I'm afraid that I would go bald from all the pulling!" She laughed softly while stroking her long, straight brown hair.

Johanna smiled at her 24 year old daughter. She can't help but to accept that Nadine has changed over these past few years. The change that might caused by herself and her husband. Nadine has gone through a lot, and as her mother, Johanna can't be happy enough to see her eldest daughter enjoy whatever she's doing in life.

"Mom, is Dad okayh? He seems troubled these past few weeks. He's rarely out of his room. Is everything fine? Do you guys need help with anything?" Nadine asked her mother while pouring her favourite earl grey tea into the mug. She then started to eat the pancakes on her plate.

Johanna was startled by the question. Her mind worked fast trying to come out with an answer. She and her husband had agreed to keep the matter between themselves for awhile, just until they find a solution. It's best not to let them worry, especially Nadine.

"Oh your Dad's fine, Nadine. This whole starting a business with your Uncle Fred makes him more occupied... and a little tired of course." She replied with a tight smile on her face.

"If you say so..." Nadine shrugged her shoulders. She continue eating her breakfast and emptied her mug. She put the dishes into the sink, grab her bag on the sofa and walk to the door. She looked briefly at her reflection in the mirror and turn the door knob,

"Mom, I'm going! See you when I get home" She shouted back to the house and close the door behind her.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••《《《《《《《《《《》》》》》》》》》》••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"William, why didn't you go down and have your breakfast? You need to eat, honey and get out of this room. Nadine just asked me whether something is wrong... she's worried about you." Johanna's voice softened at the end. Bringing her husband's breakfast, she put down the tray on the table.

"I'm sorry. It's just..." He sighed loudly, unable to finish his sentence. His eyes landed on the breakfast tray and thanked his wife.

"Well, you thinking that I'm gonna leave this family after I found out about this, is beyond madness. Family stick together, William. I love you and you know that." Johanna watched her husband drink his tea. She pull out the chair across the table and sit opposite her husband.

"Yes, that I do. And I'm willing to do anything to make this right. I'm sorry I doubted you, Anna."

Johanna smiled. She loves it when her husband calls her by her nickname. It makes her feel young again.

"I'm going to the bank today. I want to check whether the loan application goes through or not. Let's pray for a miracle, shall we?" William spoke with a glint of hope in his tired blue eyes.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••《《《《《《《《《《》》》》》》》》》》••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

-Nadine Pierce-

I walked out of the class and head straight to the bathroom. Washing my hands at the sink, I tried to remove a few blotches of paint that stained my hands. Kids. They're more eager to paint their friends' faces than the drawing paper itself. I smirked; recalling my students behaviour. If you ever met me five years ago, you never would have guess that I'm going to be a preschool teacher. Life happens, and I don't like to dwell on my past. Besides, I love kids. Who doesn't? Right?

When I finally dried my hands, I looked into the mirror. My large dark eyes stared back at me. Blinking a few times, I move my head to the sides, making sure that no strands of hair manage to escape my ponytail. I took a deep breath, smile at my reflection and walk to the teacher's office. Once at the door, I walked slowly to my place near the window and sit on the chair.

"Thank you God, for letting mankind invent this comfortable chair." I silently talk to myself.

Putting my hands on the desk, I flexed my neck, face towards the ceiling and close my eyes. I'm not the type of woman who likes to wear heels, but even with my flat shoes, walking around this small school makes my feet hurt. I removed my shoes and wriggled my toes. Hmm.. I would do anything to feel the sands under my feet right now.

My thoughts were disturbed by the sound of my ringtone. I quickly searched for my phone inside my bag and smiled when I noticed the name appearing on the screen.

"Andrew!" I half shouted his name happily.

"Wow, no hello or hi for me, huh? You must be missing me so much to say my name like that." Andrew reply with a laugh.

"Of course, silly. We haven't seen or talk to each other for a week. So, how are you? How's your trip to New York?" I asked.

"I'm fine thank you. The trip's good, I met a lot of people. Great people." He then get into the details about the trip.

"Oh wow, that's cool. Hey, your company keep sending  you on business trips right... do you think you're going to get a promotion?"

"Hmm.. I hope so! Promotion means raise. That means maybe we can get to go to that Hawaii trip that we've always talked about. Soon."

Grinning widely, I replied, "Then I'll pray for you to get it. You're talented, Andrew. This may be a good opportunity for your career."

"Thanks babe, for believing that I'm awesome." Judging from his tone, I can almost see him smirking at me.

"Yeah, you're awesome. But I'm awesome-er!"

"Is that even a word?" Andrew chuckled. "Are you free tonight? Have dinner with me."

"I'm free tonight. See you at our usual place then."

"Love you, Nadine."

"Love you too, Andrew" I replied and disconnect the line.

I texted Mom letting her know that I'll not be joining dinner at home tonight.