The Love Letter (Kailor AU)

Skylor plopped down in a corner of the cafeteria and stared at the bowl of noodles she'd just bought for lunch. She considered herself a connoisseur when it came to food, and these noodles looked absolutely disgusting. But it was school food and she didn't want to buy the more expensive options, so what could she do?

The third-floor lunchroom buzzed with conversation, with high schoolers milling about and tiny middle schoolers sneaking up from their second-floor cafeteria to get the "better" food. Skylor sighed, deciding that she should finish her lunch quickly so that she wouldn't keep feeling sour about being such a loner.

Somehow none of her friends were in her current class, except for Lloyd Garmadon. But there was no way she was sitting with him, since back in middle school nobody had a life and was always obsessed with other people's crushes, so if there was even the slightest indication that you liked someone, you were bound to be shipped with them automatically. Lloyd avoided her for the same reason. They didn't see each other as anything more than friends, and initially it was only because their dads were friends that she hung out with him back when he was new.

Skylor shuddered, remembering how they always got stuck with each other as partners in physique building (just a fancy word for dance) class last year.

"Sky!"

She looked up to see a girl with dark brown hair up in a ponytail-braid walk over with a lunch tray.

"Oh, hey Ivy!" Skylor said with a grin, feeling relieved to see her best friend from last year.

Ivy sat down, and soon two other girls, all from their middle school class, joined them.

"Wait, Sky, you're in STEM Class 8, right?" Cecilia asked, prodding at her lunch with a pair of chopsticks.

Skylor blinked, confused. "Yeah?" The other girls looked at one another excitedly.

"Wait, so you're in the class with all the cute boys," Rachel clarified.

Frowning, Skylor wondered what this had to do with anything. It was only the first full month of school, and she hadn't even been looking at the guys in her class. Okay, maybe a month was a long time and Skylor was just being socially awkward. Either way, Lloyd was the only guy she'd really talked to so far, and that was only sparingly. Of course, there were a few others, but their exchanges didn't count as conversations.

"Don't worry Sky, we're not after Lloyd," Ivy said, putting a hand on her shoulder. Skylor felt her face heat up against her will.

"Okay, so do you know Kai Smith?" Rachel asked, "He's new this year and he's in your class."

Skylor vaguely remembered hearing the name. "Not really?"

"Anyway, he's tall, has messy brown hair, and he's so freaking cute! So I was wondering if you could help me pass a note to him. Pretty please?" Ivy pleaded.

"Uh... sure?" Skylor mumbled, immediately regretting agreeing. She didn't even know him, how awkward would it be to suddenly go up and pass him a love letter? He might even think she was the one who liked him.

"Yay, thanks Sky!" Ivy squealed, squeezing her into a hug. "You're the best!"

"Hehe... thanks?"

So was that the only reason they decided to come sit with her? As much as Skylor hated the idea, it probably was. Otherwise she wouldn't have spent all those past meals alone.

...

When Skylor entered the room, the dorm was still empty as the other girls hadn't returned from lunch yet. Even now Ninjago City Academy still set a time for napping, despite the fact that they were high schoolers.