Unspoken Apologies (Canonverse Jaya)

Nya stiffened. Even though she had tried her best to avoid confronting this issue, Jay was still persistent with his offers to help. His dragon flew nearer as he extended his hand out to her, a giant smile on his face.

As much as she tried to repress it, the familiar fluttering in her heart she had felt since the day they met years ago returned. Nya quickly glanced around, looking for a different option, but Kai already had Skylor sitting, no, was it standing? behind him. Zane... it would be weird if she rode on the back of his dragon and she didn't even want to consider going onto Cole's. Looking back, she began to realize that she never actually liked him in that sense, it was just the stupid machine telling her that Cole was her perfect match and she, having normally prided herself for being smart, had stupidly believed it.

Nya didn't want to face Jay, positive that he would soon reject her once he realized what a mess she was.

"Nya?" he asked, his bright grin faltering slightly.

Her heart betrayed her and began wildly jumping like a rabbit when he said her name, and she quickly turned away from him, in fear that he would look into her eyes and figure her out in an instant.

But she couldn't ride on anyone else's dragon... Why couldn't Kai just be a good brother and let her ride on his?

The remaining Elemental Masters began thinning out as everyone hopped onto their dragons. Soon there would only be her left.

And Jay was still holding out his hand, the sweet, genuine look on his face making her heart melt. His bright blue eyes sparkled with electricity, and she wished she could go back in time, back before the crazy mess that was the love machine ruined their relationship. Back before she ruined their relationship.

All Nya wanted to do was go flying into his arms and never let go, but Jay would soon realize what a fake she was. So to make the inevitable separation as easy on herself as possible, she had to reject him first, as much as it broke her heart to do so.

But even then she continued to lead him on sometimes, just to see how he'd react. It gave Nya a sort of validation whenever she saw how excited he was to see her, just as she'd done back at the banquet, where Jay was the one she decided to alert of her presence first, instead of Kai.

Nya knew she was being very selfish. Not even her brother would do this.

But she didn't know what else to do, and besides, this way, Jay would soon realize she wasn't worth his time anyway. Then she could go and cry into a pillow to her heart's content.

"Um, Nya? It's just you left," Jay said quietly, pulling her out of her thoughts. Behind him, she could see some people giving them awkward looks. Nya flushed.

Then, throwing all her pride aside and praying that Jay wouldn't knock her off his dragon the minute she mounted, Nya took his hand. His face immediately lit up as he pulled her on while she tried her best to hide the blush that was no doubt spreading across her cheeks. Even though their hands only touched for several seconds, the feeling of warmth it gave her sent a surge of energy through her body, making her only crave it more.

Nya hated that feeling.

"Hold onto me," Jay instructed her, and a part of Nya wanted to shoot back some remark saying it was totally unnecessary, but then the dragon shook slightly and she threw her arms around his waist. She felt him tense a little, then relax.

It felt weird being this close to Jay after so long. She had kept her distance since the machine, and then after Zane had supposedly died, Nya hadn't even seen Jay for months. That hadn't stopped her from constantly thinking of him, wishing that he would show up at the door and say he missed her. Even though in her imagination, she would run up and kiss him, Nya knew that in reality, her insecurity would just cause her to shove him away.