chapter 1.

Cilicia POV

It's 2 in the morning, and I am tired as hell. I had just closed my restaurant and was heading to my car. It's been a long, productive day, but I can't wait to get home and curl up in my bed with Mr. Cuddles.

Mr. Cuddles was my twins' favourite bedtime toy, and after I lost them, he became mine. I lost my babies and their dad over 3 years ago, and the pain is as fresh as if it was yesterday. Sometimes I wonder why they died and I didn't, truth be told, sometimes I wish I had died too.

I inhaled deeply and shook my head to clear my thoughts.
I had cried so much for them the past 3 years that my tear duct glands seemed to be running on empty.
I'm no doctor, but my self-diagnosis is over-cry if there is such a thing.
So now, when I am thinking of them, I just smile and remember the happier times.
This solution has helped me more in the past 6 months than the year and a half I wasted going to a shrink. Lying on the couch didn't help, but at least I had some comfy naps during the sessions.

"Goodnight Cil."

I was suddenly dragged from my thoughts by Jake as he crossed the parking lot, heading to the forest on the other side of the road.

"You know I am passing by your house, right?"

"Yep!"

He winked and smiled.

"But you know me, I would rather run."

With that, he disappeared into the forest.

Jake is a young werewolf who is more than capable of taking care of himself, so I don't worry much. Besides, we live in one of the most secure packs, with border patrol and top-notch security.

Humans aren't oblivious to the fact that werewolves and other supernatural beings are real; it's just that the government made people believe that they live in a different world separate and apart from ours when, in fact, they live amongst us in plain sight. Only humans with a direct link to them know they live amongst us, and most of them usually live amongst them.

I came to learn about this after the accident. I was in a coma for about 4 months, and when I woke up, things weren't as they used to be.
I had heightened senses and reflexes, inhumane physical strength, and speed. That's when I sensed that a more powerful being lived amongst us, not as our government had us believe.
I wasn't surprised because my dad worked for the government, and he told me not to believe everything I hear, to always keep an open mind because all is not what it seems at times, and boy, was he right.

I panicked at first because everything seemed so intense. I could hear the bathroom being flushed through a closed door at the end of the hall, and if that was strange, I could tell you what was cooking in the cafeteria a floor below.
I didn't tell anyone cause I didn't want to end up in some lab or, worse, a loony bin beside a straight jack is so not my style.

The only person who knew was my best friend for the past 12 years, Kara. She was with me right through. She didn't leave my side one bit while I was in the hospital for 4 months. She combed my curly locks, cleaned me up, and most importantly, she never gave up on me. She was there when I woke, she was the one who told me my family was gone. I cried on her shoulder for months, and she let me. She was the only family I had left in this world.