Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Ten minutes later, I looked at myself in the mirror.

The girl who looked back at me was wearing black skinny jeans, paired with a striking blue top. Her neck was rimmed with a pretty locket, and a couple of bracelets rested on her wrist. And she was wearing her hair down, her natural highlights showing.  I gasped. This girl couldn’t be me. I was supposed to be the tomboy.

 “Oh my God, Zoe.” I spoke under my breath.

Zoe jumped at the mention of her name. “Oh, Haley! You look so pretty! In fact---” She turned me away from the mirror and inspected me closely. “---you don’t even look like yourself! You look so different.”  My eyes widened. Oh no. I’ll look like an idiot in school. This isn’t me. I need to wear some other clothes.

“Zoe…” I started, but I was cut off by her voice.

“Oh no, Hales! We’ll be awesomely late! Come on!” Zoe grabbed my hand, and before I could protest, she had me out of her house in under a minute.

“Zo, I need to change. I feel so exposed.” I said to her, desperate. Zoe stopped still. Her eyes scanned my whole body.

“You know what, Haley? You look like a girl. Now shut up and come on. I don’t want to sit in detention all day.” She spoke firmly. I sighed, knowing I had no choice. It was either these clothes, or parading  around the whole school naked. I walked on reluctantly with Zoe to her car and hopped in. Today was totally going to be a disaster.

Ten minutes later, Zoe pulled up her Chevrolet outside the school gates. She grabbed her bag and got out of the car. And me, I was still sitting inside. Zoe tapped on the window of her car impatiently.

“Hale! Don’t be such a baby! Come on outside.” She said, her voice coming smothered to my ears. I hesitated. I was wearing girly clothes. And I was supposed to be the school tomboy. What if they laughed at me?

“Haley! I’m leaving you locked in the car if you don’t come out! And you might even die when all the oxygen in the car gets used up.” Her voice came again, this time more impatient.

I might die? Okay, I’m getting out of here. I quickly scrambled out of the car, flashing Zoe an apologetic smile. Zoe looked at me, amused.

“Seriously Haley. You just love yourself.” She said. I grinned. Of course I do.

“Now come on!”  She said, panicking and grabbed my hand. We hurried inside the school building and went to our homerooms. Zoe was one grade lower than me, so we rushed to different locations.  I checked my watch on the way. Just a minute to go.  I screeched to a halt as I reached the homeroom.  Phew. Made it just on time.

I entered the class, feeling extremely awkward and self-conscious. Why, why did I have to keep my clothes in a giveaway bag? The teacher smiled at me. Okay. When had the teachers last smiled at me? Sure, I was a good student and all. But they always expected that from me, and I gave it them. 

I took my usual seat, and started working on my history assignment.  Suddenly, someone tapped on my shoulder. I looked up. Mark was standing there.

“This seat is taken. My best friend sits here. You must be new here, so I guess you didn’t know that.” He said. I stared at him, dumbfounded.  Mark looked back at me, confused. He extended his hand.

“Uh, Mark, by the way.”  

I slapped his hand. Mark winced. “Ouch! What did you do that for? I’m just telling you to shift!” I slapped his hand lightly again.

“You fool, I’m Haley. Your best friend.” I spoke in a low tone. Now it was Mark’s turn to stare at me. Realization dawned on his face.

“Oh gosh, Hale? What happened to you?” He asked, bewildered. Yeah, I’ve been wondering that myself.