FOUR

Eamon

"M-mine?"

Tumango siya at hinawakan ang kamay ko ng mahigpit. "Maybe... Maybe I'm right. Baka ikaw nga ang pakay nila o niya, they tried to kill you..."

"No," I replied. "That can't be... I-I--"

"Its yours, Mon. Ano? Sasabihin mong nanlaban ang pinatay mo? If you did kill someone then where did you fucking hide the body?" nanghahamon niyang saad.

Napapikit ako. "I-I don't know."

At that point I already feel like breaking. Hindi ko na alam kung anong nangyayari.

"A-Abelard... Is he- is he okay? Baka siya ang napatay ko..." I mumbled. "Eleanor! Is Abelard okay?!" natataranta kong tanong. I even gripped on her shoulders tightly.

Yeah, I may dislike that guy's overflowing ego for always coming here. I still can't say weather I had the guts to kill him. I mean, that's just wrong. I don't even hate him. Hate is such a strong word.

Her eyes widened at what I did. Fear crossed her eyes for a split-second, but she recollected and harshly pried my hands off of her. "Yes, he's fine."

"I... I'm sorry, Ellie. I--"

"Let's just get some rest for the night. Okay?" she looked at me with hopeful eyes.

I couldn't do anything but nod. If that's what she wants, then that's what I'll do. After she washed the dishes, we headed to her room.

What if I really did kill someone? What if blood really spilled on my hands? Mapapatawad niya ba ako?

"Ellie," I called.

"Hmm?" she hummed as she dried her hair using the towel in front her vanity mirror.

"What if..."

"What if what?" she raised her brows and placed the towel on the table, now facing me with a strict gaze.

"What if I really killed someone?" tanong ko nanaman.

"Ayan ka nanaman eh. How many times do I have to tell you? What if hindi nga ikaw ang pumatay?" this time naiinis na ang tinig niya.

Hindi ako umimik. I let her weigh the heaviness of the atmosphere after that disturbing exchange of thoughts. She's right too. What if hindi nga ako ang nakapatay?

Damn it. Why can't I remember anything that happened this morning?!

I sighed and looked at her. She was now changing her clothes from a robe to one of my shirts. It looked like she was wearing a duster since it barely exposes her knees.

Natawa ako.

"May nakakatawa?" tinaasan niya ako ng kilay.

"You look like a small duckling wearing a peguin's shirt," I laughed again.

She smack my chest. "Ha. Ha. No wonder you get a boner with this duckling."

"Hey!" I countered. "Come here," I tapped the space beside me on the bed.

She didn't budge. "Come on..." hinila ko siya sa palapulsuhan niya, she fell on top of me.

I caressed her hair as she positioned herself to lay her head on my chest. She even hugged me so I snaked my arms around her waist and rested my chin on her head...

We went silent, the only thing I could hear was her soft breathing. After a long while, she suddenly unclasped my arms from her waist and looked at me, mortified.

My forehead creased as I looked at her with confusion. "What?"

"I... I can't hear your heartbeat," she muttered.