Chapter 5 / Needs

Chapter Five
Needs

Nolan's stomach still felt like it was churning long after Devonte told him he had a good shot of getting the job that just opened. Maybe it had more to do with the fact that it was already later in the day and he hadn't heard a word from Olivia.

Everything's good? was the short text he sent, not wanting to be overbearing. The memory of Olivia mocking him, calling him Dad, still burned into his mind.

He hated feeling this way. Between his reaction to the word and to his uncle earlier, it sent Nolan back in time. He thought that by now he'd be fine, not completely over it, but at least close to being.

While Olivia seemed to have recovered from the loss overnight, Nolan and their mother were a different story. It was easier for him to cater to them, and worry over their feelings about it, but when Olivia had none and their mother had too much, it left Nolan stuck in between—unsure of how he should be feeling.

Seven years was a long time, though. Olivia's fast-paced grieving process didn't make much sense back then, but now, Nolan wished he was where she was.

Yet he wasn't, and worried everyday that he never would be.

His father's death was like a hole in the ground, and while Olivia had the ability to avoid it every time she passed, their mother was stuck in it. Nolan tried avoiding it like his sister, but somehow, his foot always slipped, and though he never fully succumbed to it like his mother, he came dangerously close quite a few times.

This was one of those times.

Nolan's breathing started to get deeper, but the vibration of his phone drew him away from his thoughts.

I'm good. Getting a ride home.

Unsure if that was good or bad, Nolan chose to not reply. He was sitting in the driveway just as he was last night and figured he'd see Olivia soon anyway.

As if on cue, a black car pulled up in front of the house. Much too fancy, especially for neighborhoods like theirs. Nolan would've been confused had he not already dropped his sister at a mansion hours ago.

What threw him off was the logo on the side—small and almost unnoticeable, but unmistakably there. Carring-Co engraved into the side, having sort of a glimmer to it. Like whoever put it there didn't want to be flashy, but still wanted the world to know who that car belonged to.

Nolan couldn't help rolling his eyes. Ever since Olivia started working at Carring-Co and shared stories of her higher ups, he knew they all seemed stuck up. The longer Olivia was there, the less stories she shared—the bad ones, at least. He assumed she had actually begun to like it there or that the people weren't as bad as they first seemed. Now, he figured she just got along so well with her coworkers that she ignored everything else.

And whatever coworker she was hanging with today was clearly someone his sister would cling to. He couldn't see Olivia ever giving that connection up after witnessing this.

The younger girl strolled across the lawn after exiting the car. Nolan took this as his cue to exit his own, and picked up his pace to meet her at the porch.

"Nice ride," he commented, eyes finding the car before it took off. "Who helped you with that?"

Olivia leaned her head down, letting her hazel eyes become visible behind her sunglasses. "My new bestie."

"Bestie?" Nolan repeated, unable to stop himself from chuckling. "It's that serious, huh?"

His teasing tone swiped the smile off Olivia's face, and she playfully shoved him aside as she reached for the front door. "Don't hate on me because, unlike you, I know how to make friends. Great ones."