Chapter 10 / First Time

Chapter Ten
First Time

"Are you ready?"

The tall apartment building stared back at Malia from her place in the car. Worry filled her, but Malia looked on the bright side: this apartment was close to Carring-Co, but far away from Carrington Manor. Less chances of spontaneous visits from her mother, or even Kendrick. That was, so far, going in the pros box for moving in.

Malia glanced at Olivia, who was giddy as all hell as they took off their seatbelts and exited her car. "Yeah, I guess."

"You guess?" Olivia repeated as she rounded the car, making her way to where Malia was standing by the driver's side. "Come on, get more excited. You're gonna love the apartment, I swear."

Malia braced herself and followed her friend through the lobby and to the elevator doors. She couldn't help wondering if she was crazy for agreeing to this, but she reminded herself that all she'd said in her text to Liv last night was that she wanted to see the apartment. Nothing more, nothing less. She told herself she'd just check it out, and they'd go from there.

"I'm so fucking excited, I can't even right now!" Olivia yelled cheerfully as they got onto the elevator.

Malia laughed at her enthusiasm. "Tone it down a bit. I haven't officially said yes yet."

"Ah, but you said yet, which means there's a good chance you will," Olivia pointed out as the elevator doors opened. "And trust me, once you see this place and the view, you won't be able to say no."

They walked off the elevator and down the hall to apartment 5C. So far, Malia liked that there weren't many floors in the apartment building, that Olivia's was on the top floor, and that the apartment itself wasn't too close to the elevator, but not too far either.

"Close your eyes," Olivia said as she placed the key into the lock.

"Yeah, we're not doing that," Malia said dryly. "Open the damn door."

Olivia sucked her teeth in annoyance but listened, opening the door and stepping to the side to let Malia walk around first.

Malia would've hated to admit it out loud, but Olivia was right. While the simple decor of a single couch in the living room gave off a less homely feel, and the kitchen was visually lacking any kind of cooking equipment, the view... damn, the view outside the large window in the center drew all of her attention.

She crossed the room, taking advantage of the fact that there were no blinds or curtains—though if she were to move in, they'd need to add some coverage as soon as fucking possible—and looked out. The New York City skyline greeted her, looking as magical and breathtaking as people made it out to be. As someone who lived in New York all her life, Malia never cared much for it or the wonders non New Yorkers seemed to harp on.

But standing there now, seeing it all from what could've possibly been the comfort of her own home, sent a single chill down her arms.

The balcony wasn't big, probably couldn't fit much more than a small table and chair out there, really only allowing one person to be out there at a time, but it still looked comforting. Good thing she'd never been afraid of heights. She could certainly see herself just sitting out there, no distractions, while the rest of the world lived their lives, granting her the single moment of peace she had been desperately craving.

Malia turned, unable to hide the smile that was no doubt covering her face. "I love it, Liv," she said, almost breathless. "I really didn't think I would, or that this was even a good idea, but damn it. I love it."

Olivia beamed with happiness, quickly crossing the room and tossing her arms over Malia. It took her by surprise, but since she was so caught in the moment, and feeling so grateful to have actually met and befriended Olivia, she tightly hugged her back.