Chapter 9 / Insanity

Chapter Nine
Insanity

Nolan's head was pounding. It felt like there was a soccer match going on in there, with the ball continuously being kicked around, bouncing off of his skull with every goal made.

"Nolan Alexander?"

He winced at the volume of the voice, feeling as if the lady was shouting his name from the rooftops, when really, she'd simply called it out. He rose from his chair, refraining from placing his hands in front of him to maintain his balance. He felt like if someone pushed him, even a little, he'd go toppling over. His head hurt so much he couldn't even take a step.

But he had to. His boss was waiting for him in that room, meaning his chance of keeping this job and his apartment was too, and he'd be damned if he let that slip away.

Nolan flashed a smile as best as he could to the kind lady, who had introduced herself as Kathy when he first arrived, before he followed where she gestured and he stepped into the room.

A man with blonde hair, no older than forty, was sitting behind a desk. When he noticed Nolan's presence, he stood and buttoned his suit jacket once. "Mr. Alexander, I presume?"

Nolan nodded, then instantly regretted it. "Yes, sir. Are you... Mr. Carrington?"

A ghost of a smile came to his face. "Yes, I am. Have a seat."

He didn't need to be told twice. After quickly planting himself in the nearest chair, he adjusted his tie, and watched as Mr. Carrington retook his own seat and reached for a file.

"I'm impressed by your resume," he began, quickly reading it over before looking up. "Why the interest in Carring-Co?"

Nolan's brain felt fried. Why does this feel like an interview? Don't I already have the job?

Mr. Carrington chuckled, and Nolan froze, not understanding what was funny.

"Yes, Mr. Alexander, you do have the job," he began, making Nolan's chest tighten with embarrassment and regret. "But I do still want to talk to you and make sure I didn't hire some lunatic. Know what I mean?"

"I... uh... didn't..." Nolan scrambled for words, but honestly, what could he have said to justify his previous words that wouldn't have made him look like a lunatic?

Mr. Carrington stood quiet, eyes trained on Nolan as he watched him fumble. Unless Nolan was seeing things—which, to be honest, that was a possibility—the older man was smirking. As if he enjoyed watching Nolan squirm.

Great, so he's a douchebag. Nolan froze, eyeing Mr. Carrington. Okay, good, I didn't say that one out loud.

"This is an insurance company, and I know Carring-Co has a partnership with the Core Physical Therapy and Sports Rehabilitation center in the city," Nolan quickly said, trying to find his bearings with every word that came out of his mouth. "I'm starting a physical therapy program soon, and I hoped that besides the experience I'd get from dealing with customers here, I could also make some connections with that center that'll benefit me once I graduate."

Nolan pressed his lips together, not wanting to babble any further, and opted to watch Mr. Carrington's reaction. He stood quiet, creepy blue eyes still solely trained on Nolan and seeming hyper aware of every move he made. It was as if he was looking for imperfection. Searching for some fatal flaw to point out.

If he was being honest, Nolan felt more and more on edge the longer the silence stretched. And it didn't help that he could feel the vein on the side of his forehead pounding from his headache.