Chapter 6 / Don't Look Back

Chapter Six
Don't Look Back

Confusion flooded his mother's face first, then a hint of betrayal that threatened to make Nolan lose all his will to go through with his plan.

Just as quickly as the hurt came, though, it disappeared, and a blanket of understanding seemed to lay over his mother.

"When?" she finally asked in a shockingly steady voice.

Nolan blanked, not having the full answer. "Probably by the end of the month."

His mind began moving fast, already thinking of how this would work out. He knew one person in real estate, who would undoubtedly find him a good place for a great price. The only issue was who he'd have to go through to get to that person, and that was a box of worms he didn't want to open.

"How will you pay for this?"

A question he expected, so he answered quickly with, "I just got a job at Carring-Co."

"Where Livy works?" Michelle asked, her previous confusion returning. "Why would you want to work there? How will you focus on your program while doing that and your internship?"

Feeling his stomach turning in knots at the mention of his program, he tried changing the subject. "My internship is on weekends and this job will be on weekdays."

"And the physical therapy program?"

His tongue started to feel twisted, the words I'm not doing it now unable to come out. Instead, he said something he knew wasn't the best idea.

"I'll do it at night."

Nolan lied, and it hurt, like lying so big usually did for him. But sometimes a little lie was necessary. There was no way his mother would be okay with him leaving if it meant delaying his physical therapy program.

And she wouldn't understand at all that him leaving was his way of taking a break from that, and school, and her.

Michelle went quiet, seeming to ponder over everything. "I'll miss you."

"I'll visit." Not too often, though.

Nolan grimaced once more, but he refused to budge. He needed this. He'd been feeling like something in his life was missing for far too long, and he refused to believe that it was merely his dad's presence.

Seven years was too long of a time to still yearn for something that wasn't coming back.

But this? This chance at finally being on his own, this small taste of freedom before he started his career? That was what he needed.

"I..." she began, before pausing to think. "I don't want you to go, but I can't stop you. And I won't try to."

He figured she wouldn't. His own guilt at her reaction would've been what stopped him. Michelle Alexander was a soft-spoken and passive woman. If Nolan really wanted, he could have taken off years ago without a word, and when he finally decided to return, she wouldn't have said a word about it.

He could never do that, though. And he knew deep down, this getaway was merely that—a getaway. He'd be back soon enough, and he wouldn't leave again.

"I'll be back," he told her, meaning the words. "You know I will."

Her eyes found his, pale green meeting pale green, and he saw her own doubts surfacing. She blinked, washing them away, and plastered on a smile. "I already can't wait for the day."

The chuckle that followed sounded genuine enough, so Nolan joined in, before crossing the room and holding his arms out for a hug. Michelle stood and embraced her son, sighing against his shirt. He placed his head on her own, then stared straight ahead.