Chapter 1

Warning! There is character death in this chapter

"But mummy, I'm not sleepy! Tell me the story again." Dan said tiredly to his mother.

"No sweetie, it's bedtime now." She said as she kissed his forehead. "And tomorrow, I want you reading it to me." She smiled as he nodded sleepily, before he fell asleep and she went back in her room where her husband was already sleeping. She fell into deep slumber as soon as her head hit the pillow.

-------------------------------------

The next morning, Dan's mother took him to his first day of school, she even took a picture with him like every first day of school. She then kissed him on the forehead and wished him luck, before walking back to the underground railing station to go to work.

After work, She goes back to take Dan from school and takes him home. Once they are inside, she takes a book out of behind the fridge. She goes to sit next to Dan on his bed.

"Dan, sweetie, this book, is a very precious book, okay? You can't show that book to anyone. Do you understand?" She stopped a bit to see her son nodding. " You are eight years old and I should've given you this sooner, but I got attached to it. Now it's yours." She handed the book to Dan.

He took it in his hands and looked at it from all its angles. It wasn't a big book, but it looked worn and a bit old. He opened it, to see pictures of him and his dad and his mom when he was born. There were others pictures there too from all over his childhood and the last one was the one that he took with his mother that morning. He smiled at the pictures and turned the pages of the book. He started reading the firsts lines of the book and automatically recognised the story.

"It's the story." He said quietly.

"Yeah, now, you promised me a reading yesterday." Dan's mother said as she laid on the bed next to her son.

Dan giggled as he started to read the story of colourful people saving the ones who wish to be saved and as he finished the last line of the book, a big crashing noise came from their living room.

"Dan, hide under the bed, now." Dan's mother said to him as she went to see what was going on.

Dan shoved the book in his shirt before going under the bed. He was shaking and breathing heavily, trying to calm his frantic heartbeat.

Suddenly, a black leathery gloved hand grabbed him by the collar and took him to the living room. Where he saw his mother kneeling in front of someone pointing a big gun at her head. His father was there too, but not kneeling, he quickly went to hug Dan and squeeze him against his chest, while he heard he mother scream.

"Please, don't do this! He's just a kid! Please!" She screamed as he was shoved out of his father's embrace and in front of his mother.

He went to hug her, but the gloved hand still had a hold on his collar, keeping him far enough so he couldn't touch her.

Then, a loud bang echoed in the room and Dan's mother's body went limp on the floor and Dan was released. He went next to her and hugged her thigh.

"M-mummy?" Dan asked shakily. "M-mummy it's not b-bedtime. Come on I w-want a bedtime s-story. Please." Dan started sobbing as crimson liquid pooled on the carpet.

"M-mummy. Please, it's not funny anymore, Please wake up." Dan sobbed as his father wrapped his arms around him.

"She'll wake up r-right?" He asked his father.

"I don't think so sweetie." He whispered brokenly as he tried to get Dan off her.

At the moment his father said that, Dan started whaling and sobbing more and crying. His father took him up and went to his room. He set down on his bed, not once minding about the crimson liquid covering both of their clothes and that's how they fell asleep. In each others embrace in a bed way too small for the both of them.

Well, that was a good start.

I'm sorry if you have a sensible heart and this was shocking for you. I'm very sorry.

I hope you liked it

~Eliot