Chapter four

I was perched on my bed with my fluffy socks on, gazing impassively at the green box mum gave me before I left for London. I am unsure on whether I should open it or not as it will probably remind me of mum which will make me homesick and I don't want that on my first week here. I stuck the paper that mum gave me at the airport telling me to follow my dreams up on my bedroom wall.

    Harry and I haven't shared a proper conversation - not that we can - since that happened. We've shared awkward eye contact but every time Liam would snicker causing Harry to look at the ground and most of the time it looks like blushing.

    I gradually pulled the lid off the box and inhaled sluggishly before putting my hand in the box to retrieve whatever item mum put in this box. It's... a frame. Well, not just a frame; a picture in it. The photograph was of my dad and I when I was seven. I smiled as a shiver went up my spine and I squeezed my eyes shut. You're not going to cry, Réaltín.

    I progressively partly opened my eyes but just enough for a soft tear to slide down my cheek. I sobbed quietly as I continued to gape at the picture of my daddy.

    "Réaltín?" a hushed voice murmured through my bedroom door before quietly opening it. I glanced up from the picture to see Zayn standing at my doorway with pity written across his face. His hazel eyes scanned over my bedroom before landing back at me. Zayn was sporting a black tshirt and grey sweats with his quiff styled perfectly.

    "Niall," I mumbled through my sobs. Zayn nodded in understanding as he jogged out the door towards Niall's room. I hugged the photo to my chest as I sobbed into my hair. Two minutes later, Niall came racing into my room with a look of panic on his face. Straight away he got into my bed and lay down beside me as he cuddled into my side. After a few seconds of my crying and Niall's confusion, I took the frame away from my chest and handed it to Niall who took it. I watched his blue eyes skim over the photo before putting it down and hugging me tighter, rubbing circles on my back. I know that Niall knows exactly what I'm crying about. He knows it's because of my dad because of the picture.

    My father is at war. He left eleven years ago, when I was seven. That picture was the last picture my dad and I had together and I didn't know where it went, so to see it now, made my heart melt.

    "Tá sé ceart go leor," Niall mumbled into my hair 'It's alright'. "Tá sé ceart go leor."

    "Go raibh maith agat a Niall," I smiled gratefully 'thank you Niall' as Niall squeezed my hand and pulled away from our hug. I just wish I could understand him, it's so hard to cope with not being able to talk to him in a proper conversation. That's when I decided; I'm going to have to get Lelah to teach me some English.

**********

    "Spongebob is the best cartoon," Louis argued like a four-year-old. Liam shook his head at the older fellow. Harry, Zayn and I have been watching these two argue over nonsense for ten minutes as Niall laughed his head off. Zayn kept smiling at me reassuringly as I returned it awkwardly, I really wish he didn't see my break down earlier.

    "No, Louis. It's not." They bickered back and forth and it got less and less amusing until I found it quite annoying.

    "Why don't we go get food?" Harry asked us, getting fed up of the two 'kids' also. Zayn nodded his head vigorously causing me to giggle. Niall winked at me before running to the car.