5. Hobbit

(Loki)

I sit alone on the couch going over my conversation with James in my head. I think back to the fleeting look of panic across James' face when I told him that I wasn't going with him. That look of: 'I'm gonna be the only one who doesn't belong.' 

'You should go up anyways.' Part of my mind insists, 'Being there would take a little bit of attention off him. You never eat with the others, so they would notice.'

Pulling out my book once again I attempt to distract myself from my wandering thoughts, immersing myself in the fictional world.

Unfortunately, it didn't work very well. I couldn't stop thinking about the pure panic that briefly flashed across James' face before being covered up by a pained smile. I knew how it felt, to be terrified of judgement of those around you, to wish that you could just disappear and leave all of your problems behind. 

"Ah, Hel." Standing up, I stride over to the elevator. 

~'~'~'~'~

The others notice me as I exit the elevator and walk over to the counter, where multiple boxes of pizza sit. James catches sight of me first, his eyes widening slightly, but he does not comment on my sudden appearance after claiming that I wasn't hungry.

"So you finally decided to leave your dragon's cave, eh Reindeer Games?" Stark snarks from his spot sprawled out on one of his expensive couches.

I shoot him a sarcastic smile, "Better than living in Bag-End, am I right Hobbit? I glance around the room, "I had thought that I left my Norse Mythology book in here, but it must be in the library still. Besides," I continue, "I believe it's not illegal to be hungry, or is that another law you silly Midgardians have?"

Stark mutters something under his breath. He hates it when I call him "Hobbit," it points out just how short he is compared to the others. (But his ego makes up for his lack of height.)

I grab a plate and put a slice of pizza on it, sitting down at a chair beside the center island. James sits a few feet away from me, (beside Rogers,) quietly eating as the others talk about life and Avenger-y business.

"Mr.Stark, Miss Potts has arrived, and she will be here in one minute."

Stark stands up abruptly and practically sprints over to the pizza boxes, quickly grabbing a plate and wine glass. He puts a few slices of pizza on a plate and pours a fancy-looking wine into the glass.

"This is my girlfriend," Stark says to James, "So you must all be on your best behaviour." He glares pointedly at me with that last sentence.

Before I can make a snappy comeback, the elevator door opens up, and Stark's girlfriend Pepper Potts steps through. I had only met her a few times before, but Pepper had that serious, professional, don't mess with me attitude that was quite intimidating, considering her small size (kinda like Romanoff.)

"How was the trip?" Stark greets her with a quick kiss, handing her the wine glass.

"Not bad," she takes the plate from his hands with a smile.

Tony wraps an arm around her waist and turns her to James, "Pep, this is Bucky. Bucky, this is Pepper Potts, my girlfriend."

James smiles shyly at her, "Nice to meet you, Miss Potts," he says softly averting his eyes.

Pepper smiles warmly, light blue eyes sparkling, "It's nice to meet you too Bucky. Also, please call me Pepper. No need for any formalities."

He gives a silent nod and everyone resumes eating, Pepper talking about her trip to France to host a conference meeting for Stark Industries. (Lucky woman, I love going to France.)

They all continue their chatter while I finish eating. When nobody is looking, I slip back into the elevator. 

James is the only one to notice me leave.