Backstage Jitters

It was finally time. Sophie was finally ready. Everything was going to be perfect. It had to be. 

She had shouted at the servants until her throat had gone sore. She had done her makeup so fiercely that she looked like a doll. She had dressed a complaining Agatha until even she looked decent. Now all that was left to do was to walk down the isle. And boy, was she ready. 

Tedros stood outside the courtyard, beads of sweat dripping of him, the blood in him coursing through him at lightning speed. A little voice inside of him seemed to be crying out for help, but he pushed it down and focused on his vows. The sound of people talking and laughing in their seats only made him more nervous.

"Shouldn't you be in there?" Asked a voice behind him. He swivelled round to see Agatha standing there, her mess of hair smoothed and glossy, her purple-pink dress flowing around her crystal shoes ("much classier than Cinderella's, of course!"). She looked beautiful. And that hurt. 

"Shouldn't you be with Sophie?" He snapped. Nothing should distract him.

She cocked her head to the side, and said in an annoyed tone; "No need to get angry at me, Your Highness," 

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you!"

"Maybe some Princes are better seen and not heard!"

"Well, I didn't know you of all people knew so much about being a princess!"

"At least I know how to keep one happy!"

"At least I don't leave them alone whilst breaking their heart!"

They both fell silent, the bustle of the courtyard barely blocking out their thoughts. 

Eventually Tedros spoke in a pained tone. "What happened to us?"

"I...I don't know what you're talking about..."

"Yes you do. Need I remind you that you left me. You were the one that said I should go off with Sophie!"

Well you belong together anyway! Who was I, an ugly wannabe Good student, to get in the way of that!" She shot back. 

Silence. 

"Is that why..." Tedros whispered. "Is that the only reason that we aren't together now?"

"Just look at me Tedros! I could never make you happy! I could never rule a kingdom!"

"Yet everyday I spent with you made me happier than anyone had ever before."

More silence. 

Tears glistened on Agathas face. "It's too late Tedros. She loves you." And she walked away. 

But what if I love you?!