The Wedding

It was time. The organ music started playing, and the guests fell silent. Even the wind seemed to quiet down. The setting sun threw shadows on the walls, and the fairies providing the lights fluttered about over peoples heads. 

Chaddick (Tedros knight) walked in first, smiling awkwardly as Beatrix blew him a kiss. Then came Agatha, her veil of hair caped around her, her dress gleaming in the sunlight, but Hester saw that her eyes were red and puffy from crying. Dovey seemed to notice this too, and frowned. 

Then, of course, came the bride. 

Everything from her hair to her shoes was perfect about Sophie. Her dress was a bright white colour, with patterns of flowers flowing up it until reaching her puffed sleeves. Her hair was curled and out to one side of her neck, which held a beautiful opal necklace, no doubt matching the rings! She walked proudly down the isle, waves of emotions rushing over her. This was it. Her ending. Her beginning. Her Happy Ever After. She paid no notice of Agatha. 

The wedding started, the priest reciting the sermon as the sun set. Tedros stared nervously at his future bride, his hands shaking. Sophie grabbed his hand, grinning like a Cheshire Cat, but her hand felt cold and lifeless, even in the warm summer heat. 

"And now, we unite this kingdom, these two sides and this couple, forever in holy matrimony..." the priest preached. The tension filled the air as quickly as the wind had come. Agatha bit back a sob, watching the only person she would ever love marry her best friend. The pain inside her was unbearable, she knew she had to get away, and so she ran from the platform, tears falling like gems as she yanked open the side door of the courtyard. 

Tedros stared at the empty space where she had been, a roller coaster of emotions building up inside of him. He felt dizzy. He looked at Sophie, who was standing there, a fake smile plastered on her face, covering a look of determination. Nothing, not even her best friend, would distract her. 

"Do you, Sophie of Woods Beyond, take this man as your husband and your king-" 

"I do." She said quickly. 

"And do you, Prince Tedros of Camelot, take this woman as your wife and your Queen?"

"I...I...um..." what was he doing? Just say yes will you? But something stopped him. This wasn't right. Something wasn't right. Sophie cleared her throat, and then he saw it. A witch, ugly of face with warts covering her wrinkly skin stood in Sophie's place. He gasped. A weight inside of him pulled tightly at his stomach.

"I... I... can't." 

Everyone gasped. Hester and Anadil stood up. Dot stopped eating her chocolate. Beatrix stopped staring at Chaddick, who coughed awkwardly. The Queen of Jaunt Jolie fainted. Lady Lesso clapped.

Sophie stared at Tedros, a look of confusion and hurt crowding her face. Tedros sighed. A weight that had been pulling him down for months, maybe even years, was finally lifted. 

"And why can't you marry me, Teddy?" Sophie whispered, her words as sharp as daggers. 

"Because I-I love someone else." More gasps.

"And who is this 'special' someone?!" Said Sophie, but she already knew. He didn't need to ask. 

Tedros took a step back. "I...I'm sorry..." he stared around the room, at his friends  and allies, but none of them were important anymore, then he stared at his fiancé, her eyes shooting swords at him. And he ran.