E is for (the) Exception

6.

++++++++++

'What do you mean she just passed out?'

'Like I said, totally dropped onto the floor on top of some glass.'

'After she drank the blood?'

'Maybe she's squeamish?'

'Ugh,' Ruby groaned.

'There's my favourite sound,' Fox peered over her with a raised eyebrow. 'You alright there?'

'Ugh,' she moaned again blinking open her eyes. The lamp above her was suddenly ridiculously bright, so bright the rays were sending sharp jolts of pain through her eyes. She clamped them shut, but it still hurt her skin.

'Ruby?' Miles sounded concerned. 'Do you normally have this reaction to blood?'

'Well I haven't ever drank it before so I cant really comment,' she inwardly rolled her eyes.

'I think you're being a little over the top.'

She knew Fox had crossed his arms over his chest without even seeing him.

She tried opening her eyes again but the lamp was too bright, closing her eyes she reached out to the lamp's cord and switched it off. There we go.

The faces around her came into focus, she saw Fox, Miles and Gideon standing around her looking worried.

'How do you feel?'

Ruby blinked at Miles, 'Better now the light isn't blinding me.'

Miles frowned at her and exchanged a look with Gideon.

'Hey, wait a second. What colour are your eyes?' Fox crouched right down, his face hovering over Ruby's contorted in confusion.

Ruby couldn't move back, her head was resting on a pillow. She felt his hot breath on her skin and couldn't help glance down at his mouth that was literally an inch away from hers. She saw it again briefly, the intense flash of green in his own eyes. Fox stepped back immediately his cheeks turning pink, he knew she'd noticed it.

'Uh, you tell me Sherlock. You're the one staring at them.' She managed to get out before the scene got too awkward.

Fox tilted his head to this side. 'I could have sworn they were blue...' He trailed off in pure confusion. 'A dark blue, like the reflection of a pool or something?'

'Um,' Ruby coughed and glanced around the room to see if anyone else thought this was getting weird. 'First up, I didn't realize you were paying such close attention to my eyes, you're kind of sounding like a stalker.'

He frowned.

'And secondly, what are you smoking? My eyes are blue, you're staring right at them.'

Fox's face turned triumphant, 'I knew it!'

'Ruby honey, are you sure? I can't say I noticed your eye colour before today,' Gideon said shooting Fox a wry smile. 'But they're not blue.'

'You guys are crazy,' she sat up looking for something to use as a reflector. 'Not only are you creepy vampires who kill people, but now you're officially bonkers too. So well done, I actually wish I was living with my psycho neighbor.'

Fox held out his phone to her wordlessly set to camera, she flicked the view and peered into the phone freezing on the spot. Her familiar blue eyes weren't staring out at her anymore. They were a dark green with flecks of grey in them. Eerily they reminded her of Rose's.

'Oh my God do you think drinking the blood turned me into a vampire?' She squeaked turning to Miles in horror shaking her head vigorously. 'I'm a freak! What is happening to me?'