Chapter One

"(Y/N)!"

That had to be the 50th time my mom called me. It's not that I was counting, just that I had heard my name too many times to keep track of at this point.

It's not that I didn't want to go see my mom, it's mostly that I wanted to spare myself the expression that overtook her face every time I came in her line of view. The slight frown, or the lingering aura of disgust that she held every time she saw me.

I take it back. I don't want to go see my mom.

If it was anything important, she would come to see me herself. Probably. So, I sought to do what brought me comfort. I glanced to the side, where I saw the favorite weapon that I owned, perched delicately on a pedestal.

It's pretty weird, I know. A 15-year-old girl with a weapon obsession. Okay, not a weapon obsession, perse. Just anything with a blade.

I walked over to the katana and lifted it off of the pedestal. I sat down on the floor and placed the sword on my lap. I ran my hand across the smooth, wooden surface of the Saya*, before slowly taking out the katana, as to avoid any severed fingers.

*Saya: The traditional scabbard (cover) for a katana

I took a deep breath and glanced down at the blade. I had meant to clean it, but it was already shining, clearly perfectly polished. The blade was stained red, and I traced the name of the Katana, which was engraved into the blade.

Ayuna.

"Why are you crying?"

I sniffed and looked up at my dad, who stood in my doorway with his hands crossed.

"I'm not."

My dad blinked at me, "I'm not an idiot. Come on, what's up?"

"You wouldn't get it, Mr. Pro-Hero."

"Maybe not," he nodded, "But, let me try."

"I guess that's okay," I nodded and motioned for him to sit down on my bed next to me.

He complied and sat down on the bed.

I sighed and looked at him, frowning, wiping at the now-dried salty tear stains on my cheeks, "Everyone at school keeps making fun of me."

My father started laughing, "That's why you're crying?"

"Hey! I'm being serious!" I crossed my arms, "I knew I shouldn't have talked to you."

"I'm joking! Tell me about the kids."

"They all say that I'm going to be a villain when I grow up and that they can't be my friend because they don't want me to manipulate them or whatever."

"Well, anyone who doesn't want to be your friend is just stupid."

"You think?"

"I know. Wait here, I have something for you."

I nodded and my dad stood up and walked out of the room. A few moments later, he came back, holding a katana in his hands. My eyes lit up at the sight of it.

"You got me another one?"

"This one's special. It's a katana, you've only gotten smaller swords like a wakizashi," he sat back down and carefully removed the wooden Saya, revealing the polished, red-stained, blade.