Chapter 05 | Battle Training

Northpaw walked into the camp with his ears and tail drooped down, radiating in guilt. He felt paranoid, constantly flicking his eyes here and there to make sure no one was staring at him. His frantic thoughts had him completely convinced that everyone knew. He was the one who killed Silverpaw.

His mother walked over to him from the nursery with a bright grin before realizing how dull the mood was from the cats that came from the gathering. "Northpaw are you okay? A fight didn't break out, right?" Koifish checked over him worriedly, but before he could respond Agamastar called out from the fallen tree.

There was really no need for him to call the meeting though, considering how everyone was already outside, anxious to figure out what happened. Agamastar cleared his throat before he started to speak, "Cats of NautilasClan, I have bad news. A war may be coming to us in the future."

Everyone in the clearing broke out into worried cries and bristled pelts.

"A war? For what reason?"

"Who would dare start a war with us?!"

"I bet it was AragonClan causing trouble again wasn't it?"

Agamastar flicked his tail to command silence from the crowd and they quickly obeyed. "An apprentice, Silverpaw, was murdered at the gathering. Lilystar and her clan are furious and demand answers by the next gathering. If not, a war might ensue. I'm not sure who would be so cruel and bold as to murder an apprentice, but I promised her every clan would help find the culprit."

All the cats looked around the clearing in complete silence until one cat spoke up. "Well it couldn't possibly be anyone from our clan," protested Whitesage, a pure white tom with green eyes. "I agree with Oceanwaves that it had to have been someone from AragonClan. So what would that have to do with us? Why do we have to involve ourselves in PolarClan's affairs?"

A few other clan members murmured their agreement with the senior warrior, but Agamastar quickly shut them down. "No, whoever murdered Silverpaw broke the warrior code, and during a gathering no less. If we didn't help it would anger StarClan to no end, and who knows if they would target an apprentice from another clan?"

Briarrose, nodded her head in agreement. "Agamastar's right, if we find this murderer and properly exile them, it would be StarClan's will."

The NautilasClan leader nodded to his deputy in appreciation. "So it's settled, I want everycat to go over everything they saw at the gathering. Report any suspicious activities back to me or Briarrose. I also want more border patrols, especially during the night. If there is a murderer lurking around, we can't afford to take any chances. Briarrose, can you handle that for me?"

"Yes, of course, Agamastar."

Agamastar dismissed the clan and everyone chatted in the clearing for a bit, before they got tired and headed back in their dens. Yet, the uncertainty and fear continued to hang in the air long after they had gone. Koifish turned to him once more and gave him a lick over the ear lovingly. "Oh my, my poor kit, I'm so sorry you had to witness something so horrible in your first gathering. It shouldn't have been like that for you."

Northpaw lowered his head, there was no way he could tell her what actually happened. She would see him as a monster and disown him as a son. "It's okay mom," he mumbled, "I just really hope we find whoever did this to her."