King of Lamial

Chapter Three

        “You would never know we were at the capital, know would you.” Artie interrupted Dane and Foern’s squabbling as he gently shook Marriah’s shoulder, “Wake up.”

        “Mm?” Green eyes fluttered open and she hissed at the bright sunlight that speared her pupils, “Wha-”

        “We’re here,” Artie smiled as she spun her head side to side, eyes scanning everything in view, “It’s empty because it’s time for Mass, everyone is at the Cathedral.”

        Marriah rested her hands on Sion’s neck as she leaned forward, the ground was grey cobblestone, patterns of different colors and shapes in spirals. 

        “Marriah,” Kirian broke her out of her trance, “You’re coming with me.”

        The woman sighed and nodded, waiting for Artie to dismount from his seat behind her, and assist her to the ground. Every time they went through this, her legs were weak and wobbled annoyingly, she always waited a moment before moving away from Artie’s support. He’d stuck close to her during the four day journey, shielding her from Loreic’s insults and demeaning looks. Other than that, the ride had been pleasant, filled with peaceful silences, warm food-she’d eventually told Artie that she didn’t eat very much- and warm blankets. 

        The hardest part, and the most important, had been restraining herself from saying anything about her past. She was saving her explanation for the King of Lamial. Someone pulled her hood up, hiding her hair from the suns glare, “Better cover that,” Artie advised and smiled, “Go have fun, he’s not a bad guy.”

        Sucking in her cheeks, Marriah nodded and wrung her fingers, stepping away from Artie and his fatherly feeling and moving towards Kirian. His dark blue cloak rippled as he led her towards the inner palace. She could hear the scurrying sounds of the servants, and she could smell flowers, fine foods and a sweet syrupy scent. 

        “Welcome back, Admiral Ryn, are you here to give your report? You’re a few days late, his Majesty was asking General Tosse about you yesterday.” A young squire, holding a water pitcher had brightened, straightening his back.

        Kirian smiled and chuckled lightly, patting the boys shoulder, “I’ve got a guest for his Majesty,” He gave the young squire a thoughtful look, “Do you know Margeri?”

        “The cook’s wife?”

        Kirian grinned, “That’s right,” He nudged Marriah towards the kid, “Can you escort my guest to her?”

        Marriah narrowed her green eyes, the cowl covering the upper half of her face but she could see the young boy looking at her expectantly, then he nodded enthusiastically, looking as if he’d been praised by the king himself, “Of course!”

        “I have to report to the King, he doesn’t really appreciate surprises. Go with Dante, he’s a smart one.”

        Marriah sighed, “Very well.”

        Dante’s eyes widened and he tried to get a better look at the guest, whose full lips and nose were the only things fully visible, but obviously, that voice was of a woman. He almost blushed, not wanting to think about her purpose at Kirian’s side, “Miss, Margeri’s this way.”

        Kirian parted ways with an encouraging smile and, whilst holding his helmet under one arm, walked off in the opposite direction. Marriah had watched him go and didn’t notice Dante had paused at the turn in the hall and was waiting, “Miss?”