Chapter 4 - Why are you like this?

"Gabriel! Did you already forget about me?" a female voice echoed into the man's head.

"I'm sorry dear"

"No! I know you are not interested in me anymore!"

"Emilie dear, you know that's not true, how could I ever forget about you?" Gabriel replied with tears in his eyes.

"Really? What about your new little maid? Uh?" Emilie retorted.

"My little maid? Do you mean Nathalie? She's just an assistant"

"Yes an assistant, tell me the truth, you like her don't you?"

"No! I love you Emilie! And you only!" he yelled.

Gabriel woke up with a start.

He looked out of the window, the Sun was up in the sky and he was in his bedroom, it was only a dream.

It had been two years since Gabriel Agreste had lost his beloved wife Emilie.

Gabriel loved his wife and son more than everything even if he had always been reserved and serious but Emilie could make him smile like anything else.

He had suffered a lot because of his loss and little by little he had isolated himself more and more.

He had just lost interest in everything and everyone, even in his son.

Sometimes he thought about it and he really wished he wasn't like that but the pain of the past was too heavy on him.

A knock on his door dragged him out of his thoughts.

"Yes, yes come in" Gabriel sighed.

Nathalie entered the room pulling the usual trail with his breakfast.

"Good morning sir, did you sleep well?" she asked him smiling.

"Yes, thank you" he lied.

The woman smiled at him and turned around to leave the room.

Gabriel stretched his arm towards the woman as he wanted her to stay with him but he remained silent.

What if Emilie was right? What if he really liked Nathalie?

Since the day she came to his mansion he felt like she had been able to bring joy in that place, a joy which had been missing for two years.

Adrien looked happier when she was around and she had been able to make friends with the other servants very quickly.

She always smiled at him when she brought him his food, she was the only person left who smiled at him and wasn't scared of him or avoided him.

He had to admit that she was also really pretty but his wife's memory was still strong in him and he always put those thoughts away.

After eating his breakfast he got ready and went downstairs.

He didn't have any meetings for that day so he decided to take some fresh air hanging out in his park.