Prologue: Black Dawn

2017-2-2 22:00 PM Dawn Valley Defense Lab, Phoenix, Arizona

Lisa glanced out the window. It was a calm and serene night over Arizona. She hated working the night shift.

Edward was busy typing away on his computer. He looked up from his work as Lisa walked towards him. "Rough night?" He chuckled and went back to his work.

"You could say so." Lisa stopped and looked at Edward's screen. "Whatcha working on?"

At the other end of the lab, Francis was off brooding. He crossed his arms as he glanced at his test vials, and later out at the street. He heard a beep. He turned back to his vials. The test results had failed.

Francis shook his head. "This is getting me nowhere."

"Breach."

Just then, the door to the lab blew open. Francis was thrown onto the floor by the force of the explosive. He turned around. "What the heck?"

Two male operatives and a female operative stormed the lab. One went after Francis. The other two went after Lisa and Edward.

"If you want to live, lie down and put your hands over your head," the female instructed. Lisa did as she was told. It was Edward who resisted.

The female took our her gun and aimed it threateningly at the defiant Edward. "Will you comply?"

Edward gave up. "Fine..." he lay down in the floor.

"Good. I like guys who obey orders. Updraft, can you hand be the blowtorch?"

A male operative got up and handed a blowtorch to the female operative. "Here you go, Roselin." The other male operative, Pathfinder, was busy setting up something.

Roselin used the blowtorch to break the door leading to the server room. She was going to try to pull some data off their servers. "Project Onyx? Interesting."

She wired up a portable hard drive to the computer and began to transfer the data.

A few minutes later, the team regrouped at the van they had parked at the entrance. "Got the data?" Updraft started the engine.

"Right here," Roselin responded. "Let's go!" Pathfinder pressed a button. The lab on the top floor of the building exploded. "Done, let's clear out!"

Updraft drove the van away from the lab. The route back to Halcyon's HQ would take them through a desolate forested area. Roselin removed her welding mask. Pathfinder was stretched out on the other side of the van.

"I'm dead tired," Roselin moaned.

Just then, Updraft spied a man standing on the road. "What the...?" He slowed down to get a better look. The man appeared to be holding a thumper in his hands. "WAIT! WHAT THE HECK-" Updraft tried to steer the van off the road to avoid the man. But it was too late. The man had already fired the thumper. The grenade flew into the windshield, instantly killing Updraft. The van swerved out of control and landed on its side.

The man then took out a S97 and began to fire at Pathfinder. Roselin was shocked. "Y-YOU?" She sputtered. "Yes. Me." The man held his gun up triumphantly. "But why? Jackdaw, you know this mission is important!"

"If Halcyon gets their hands on these files, we are going to die." Jackdaw grabbed the portable hard drive from the van. "This is coming with me." Jackdaw smirked. Phoenix will find good use for these files.

Roselin felt light headed. She closed her eyes.

06:20 AM

Roselin opened her eyes. She could hear police sirens in the distance. "I need to run."

But she couldn't. There was a throbbing pain in her right leg. Just then, Roselin spied police cars arrive at the scene. She closed her eyes again. "This is where it all ends."