Ch. 14: I didn't do it for the headlines

"This is it," Skylar whispered to Philo. "I'm not sure Solar is entirely ok with this yet. But I'm glad we got to talk before the announcement. I don't think she likes you very much."

"Because of my title?" He was laughing at the stupidity of his title being offensive to Solar. "She just needs to get to know me."

"You think so? She already hates Reki on principle alone. I don't think that being the Crown Prince helps you there."

Skylar leaned in and let Philo put his arms around her. He had taken her breath away when he had come into the bedroom in his tuxedo. His dark hair, perfectly gelled back from his face to give him a fresh look. The butterfly was slightly crooked as it had been during most of their wedding day because he kept fiddling with it, but the tuxedo looked amazing on him. It accentuated his broad shoulders, the narrowing of the hips, and his long legs. The shine of his dress shoes was the icing on the cake. He looked gorgeous.

She still could not believe that he was hers.

"She'll adjust, I consider myself charming enough to win over the somewhat judgmental Noble sister. At least Pilar is on my side." Philo kissed her gently on the forehead and tried to change the subject. "This is our first real date, you know. Are you ready, kuralino?"

"With you by my side, I'm ready for it all."

They were being escorted to the ballroom. It was not like Philo did not know the way, it was the tradition, Skylar had been told. There were a lot of traditions, rules of etiquette, and even more responsibilities that Skylar had to learn and get used to. Though he would try to break them to her gently, Philo already felt that she would not understand how and why.

It was a shock to her system with all the new impressions and changes in lifestyle. He knew she had accepted it when she married him, but she had initially thought that she would end up being a doctor's wife, not the crown princess of a country she would had never known existed if they had not been attacked back then. He had to be considerate of that.

Philo smiled encouragingly at her and offered her his arm outside the ballroom just before the double doors were about to be opened for them. "Smile, and breathe, Mia Koro."

Then, he led her inside.

She wore a ruby red silk-satin dress that had been delivered ti their suite by a team of beauticians, and though she was used to designer clothes and fancy dresses she felt like a princess for the first time. Maybe it was because Philo was with her, she did not know.

But she was ready for it.

Nobody really paid them much attention because Philo guided her to where the people from the crew were gathered. They were all dressed to impress. The men in tuxedos like Philo and the women in ballgowns. Skylar liked that her and Philo did not stand out among the guests, that would draw less attention to them, Philo had categorically refused sashes and medals for the night. Something she was grateful for, it would be enough of a shock as it were, they did not have to flaunt it before time. 

She saw him nod to some people along the way, he did make it clear in his attitude that he was not engaging in conversation with anybody and people respected it. He was the prince and they probably knew, so what he wanted they had to abide by Skylar figured. She was glad they left them, it would be chaotic enough when the announcement was made, she preferred to have the little secret with Philo for just a moment longer.

Their happy anonymous bubble.

"Philo!" Jack came over and shook his hand. He was all smiles and apparently recognized Philo without problem. "I'm so happy to see you again. Somebody looks much better in a tux than in army fatigues. I see you found Strixe on your way around the room."