Ch. 11: It's stupid

Skylar stood on the balcony of their suite at the palace. It was a warm evening, and she was tired. It had been a long and emotional day.

The ceremony, the reception, and the dinner.

She had finally met Octavia and she immediately understood why Reki was in love with her, she was a sweet woman. Beautiful with a lot of humor and a sweet innocence about her. Skylar had noticed how the two had been circling each other without really talking. There was definitely something there, but if it was Octavia or Reki who were holding back, she had not figured out.

The king and queen had been the best in-laws she could possibly have imagined. They had welcomed her with open arms. Conrad had held a speech, telling them all that seeing their son that happy was something parents only could dream about, and that getting a daughter in law who literally lit up the entire room when she saw their son was that dream come true.

Her cheeks were aching from smiling all day, she had been happier than she remembered ever being in her life. Only cloud on her perfect sky, was her sisters not being there. Skylar had wanted them there for the most important moment. The moment she came out of the cocoon of hurt and despair she had been in.

But there, standing alone on the balcony, her happiness had faded.

She was nervous.

She was scared.

The wedding night was the one thing she had not given a moment's thought all day. Now that it was near, she was trembling with insecurity. She loved Philo. She was attracted to him; he was an attractive man and he felt so good when he held her. But sex with him. Skylar was not sure she could do that. Not sure she would be able to feel anything, and if that was the case, if he would enjoy himself if she just laid there like an indifferent starfish.

Philo deserved to be with his wife on his wedding night, she knew that, and she wanted to give him that. She was just unsure if what she could give would be enough.

"What's wrong, kuralino?" Philo stood right behind her, and he must have felt something was bothering her.

"It's stupid," she replied, trying to shake the nerves.

"No it's not." He put his arms around her and held her close to his body. "You're shaking. Are you cold?"

"No."

"Then what? Please tell me. I can't have you be unhappy on our wedding day. Sky, you can tell me anything."

She was not sure if she should tell him or try to manage through without letting him know. She already knew that he felt whenever she felt something so the chance of getting away with not telling him was slim.

"I'm afraid," Skylar finally admitted.

"Of what?" Philo looked around to see if there was any threat he had not noticed on the balcony. There were guards all over the courtyard below and many more stationed throughout the palace. Their suite was private and placed behind an impenetrable wall of protection.

"The wedding night. Philo, I haven't been with a man since... You know."

"Jesus, Sky. I'll be happy just holding you and knowing I'll wake up with you the rest of my life. I don't expect anything. If you one day feel comfortable enough to let me touch you, we'll take it from there." He kissed her hair and held her tighter, still amazed that she was there with him. Sex was the last thing on his mind. "I would never force you. What do you take me for? If all I ever get to do is kiss you and hold you, that will be enough."

"But we're married, you're a man, it's natural."

"I'm thirty-three years old, I know how to relieve the pressure if I need to. I have done it before, and I can do it again."