CHAPTER 25 : OLD FRIENDS

Smitha entered the building. No one gave much attention to her. Everyone was busy in creating stories and exciting turnaround of events. She climbed the stairs and walked straight into the cabin of the chief editor Ayyappan.

Ayyappan raised his head and looked up.

Smitha without saying anything pulled the chair and sat.

"We missed a top story." He said in frustration. You know we had to pay four crores for those photos and videos.

"Can we talk in the MD's office? I hope the managing director is still here." Her tone was serious and the chief editor was surprised. He wasn't expecting her to be fierce. She used to talk to him in a friendly manner and addressed him as uncle.

"What is it, Smitha?"

"We got the news first." She stood up and walked out. Ayyappan jumped out of his chair and followed her.

She banged open the door and went inside. MD Joseph Abraham was surprised. He saw chief editor Ayyappan behind her. Without asking any permission Smitha sat down in a chair. Joseph looked at Ayyappan questioningly.

"I got the news first." She started. "That's why I asked you to check with the airport authorities."

"Why didn't you tell us? You could have given me a clue." He scowled.

"It was an anonymous call. I wasn't sure whether to believe it or not." She told everything that happened. "Ebin gave the photos and videos to them. It was our breaking news, my breaking news." She said at once, fumed with rage.

"So you think Ebin betrayed us." He tried to be calm.

"He already did, that bastard. I took those photos and videos. He was puking at the sight of the body." Smitha was still fuming.

"Where is he now?" He asked and signaled Ayyappan. Ayyappan at once dialed Ebin but the message he got was 'the subscriber you are trying to reach has been switched off. Please try again later'.

"I don't know his mobile is switched off."

Ayyappan shook his head to support her. "He must be in Vikas' office." He said as he patted his mobile phone on the palm of his hand.

"What's done cannot be undone. We need to think what we could do now. Smitha what more do you know. Can you retell everything not missing even the minute point?" Joseph calculated his further actions.

Smitha narrated as Joseph and Ayyappan heard with extreme anxiety and interest. As she finished she asked. "What do we know?"

MD showed her the photos and videos. "Thomas would be the next target."

She couldn't see the last picture they captured. It was missing. "He would be killed by now. And the killer is RC."

"Who is RC?" Joseph saw a new opportunity.

"I don't know. The name was written under Ouseph's body. He must have written with his own blood."

They kept silent for a while, thinking who could be RC.

Suddenly Ayyappan said. "Ouseph's right hand, Rudrachandran."

"Why him?" Joseph raised his brows.

"He would benefit from his death. He is the only one who will benefit. He will be the next candidate in Aluva." Ayyappan said. His seventy year old brain worked quickly. It always did. "If not he will have to contest from Paravoor where he won't have chance of winning. But he is a popular face in Aluva.