CHAPTER FIVE : A NEW START

She sat firmly in the velvet cushioned revolving chair in her cabin. A fan rotated in full speed above her. A laptop was kept unfolded on the table in front of her. She kept her mobile phone adjacent to the laptop. The screen was on with an emblem of Kerala police. The motto was enshrined in Devanagari script.

Mridu bhave, dhrida kritye, she whispered.

Some message popped up and the mobile lock screen became alive. Tiger Shroff stood with his well toned oily physique and looked at her from the mobile screen. She playfully flashed a kiss towards him. On his forehead time sparkled as 10.15 am.

She opened the text message. 'Congratulations for your new phase of life. All the best. May you succeed in every step of your life.' She read the name of the sender she felt happy as well as tense. It was followed by three more similar messages. The first three were almost strangers to her but she knew she will soon cross her paths with them. The last one was from her uncle. Then came a barrage of messages from her batch mates and old friends. She quickly replied everyone with a 'thank you' but nothing more. Her batch mates asked for a grand celebration but she had to wait. Most of her friends were in Trivandrum but her first posting was in Cochin.

I will celebrate myself tonight. She smiled. Little did she knew she would have a busy sleepless night

She sighed. Finally I am here. She very well knew her new life won't be easy.

She sat erect; her five foot five inch petite body in a perfectly balanced posture and her black eyes were sharp.

Her perfectly tailored uniform made her feel more confident than she usually were. It was enough to feel her proud and fearless. Her posture was confident, eyes sharp, heart pumping with pride.

She is Shivadha I.P.S., the new police commissioner of the Cochin city.

I will be a sincere police officer. She vowed in her mind. Mridu bhave, dhrida kritye. Soft temperament, firm action. That was the motto of Kochi city police. She was the new head of the Kochi city police force.

Once again her mobile screen popped up followed by the sweet ringtone. The Chinese made Xiaomi Note 5 vibrated along with the ringtone. She curiously glanced at the screen and saw that the call was from some private number.

A random colossal of numbers with no pattern would be hard to remember. She thought for a couple of seconds whether to attend the call and decided to leave it but ended up against it. She picked up the phone and slid the green circle upwards to connect the call. There was no greeting but silence.

"Hello." She whispered onto the phone. The silence felt void. Wrinkles formed on her forehead and an unknown sensation filled her chest. She felt the rush of adrenaline in her veins. Her mind warned her, something is about to happen.

"Hello." She whispered again. "Can someone hear me?" This time her voice was clear and solid.

What she got in reply was a low growl. A chill went through her spine.

What am I messing with? This is not the start I expected. She wanted to say hello again but changed her mind. An uneasy silence surrounded around her. It was broken by a heavy rocking voice in a low frequency and it whispered her name.

"Shivadha."

She could feel an uncanny urge spreading inside her heart. She waited for it to continue.

"I have a gift for you." The voice said. "A gift for the special day."

A gift? Really? She thought it was some kind of a joke. She tried to assess the voice. It was a male using some kind of enhancements to hide his original tone. He should be around thirty and an average built man. "What do you mean by a gift?"