CHAPTER 31 : OPPOSITION

Vishwanathan stared at the picture. The picture was sent through whatsapp. It was a group photo in which Rudrachandran, Iqbal, SRK and few other party workers were posing. Under the picture, there was a message. 'The man at the right end is Rudra'.

Vishwanathan clicked on the picture and then zoomed. He wanted a better view of the young man. His skin was dark, green eyes were lively and fearless, well built and looked like a Telugu movie star with a well trimmed beard.

He is a kind of person who uses his words in apt moment, always had cut and chiseled vocabulary. He thought a lot before he spoke and he had a good memory. He never forgets a face.

Vishwanathan couldn't find any features he wanted to see in him. What was he expecting, he didn't know. He didn't resemble anyone he knows. As per SRK's detail Rudrachandran was thirty. SRK has seen his voter's id, driving license and aadhar card. Still Vishwanathan wanted to be sure. If Rudra was someone else, SRK would have recognized him. He messaged SRK for more details. He wanted a copy of all his ids.

Why did he kill Ouseph? Vishwanathan asked himself.

Did I miss something that I should know about Rudra? They both doubted.

*-*

Ouseph's death was enough to shook and knock down Kerala politics.

71 to 69 was the margin of victory for the UPA government against the SPI. Now the equation has reduced to 70-69.

Seven members of the SPI party including the opposition leader Paravoor Padmarajan sat together. They were at Padmarajan's home at Paravoor hardly five kilometers away from Chittattukara where Thomas' body was found.

Paravoor Padmarajan a seventy five year old ex-CM was full of enthusiasm and energy. The Party's State President Paulose sat close by.

"We have to do our best to win the Aluva seat. If the equation becomes 70-70, we can ask for trust vote." Padmarajan started after sipping from his glassful of whiskey. "Even if the vote of confidence comes out at the same equation then the Governor would be left with no other choice but to announce re-elections. Election Commission will also accept it. We have a chance to overthrow the government."

"Who will be our candidate at Aluva? It is heard that Rudrachandran will be their candidate. He is popular and hard to beat." Paulose said; his face looked gloomy. He knew how much support Rudrachandran have in Aluva. He will be a tough contender.

"He is right." Soman, the area secretary of the party, supported him. "In the last thirty years UPA was weakened whenever someone outside the Valookkaran family fought the elections but Rudrachandran is one hell of a name in Aluva's heart."

"Yes," Padmarajan said. "UPA is weakened. Remember 2009, when Ouseph became MP we were able to beat them at Aluva."

"Don't forget we couldn't win in 2011 even though Ouseph wasn't there."

"They couldn't win either. Some independent swine got lucky."

They were around an oval table in a private room. Two bottles, one of whiskey and other of rum was opened and poured in the glasses in front of them. Nuts and other dry fruits, fried chicken were served in glass plates.

Soman, the area secretary was about to speak when his mobile sprang to life. He attended the phone immediately. "Yes...what... really... is it confirmed... where... when it happened...great news buddy." Everyone noticed that he was getting excited. They were also filled with eagerness and thrill. They waited as they expected happy news.

Soman finished the call and disconnected the call. He looked at the keen faces staring at him. His face was packed with a lot of emotions.

"What is it Soman?" Paulose couldn't hide his emotions.