CHAPTER 40 : BIG BROTHER

"What's next?" Shivapriya asked again. She gave her brother a puzzled stare.

Shivdas looked at her. He walked to and fro across the room. After a sigh he said. "We all must go to Mumbai. From there we monitor the situation." His eyes met both of them.

"Someone has to stay back." Balan voiced his opinion. He knew better monitoring would be at the vicinity of the action.

Shivdas too knew it but he needed time to ensure they were safe that they haven't done any mistakes. Nothing should point at us. And even if it does they shouldn't be there. "For the time being, no one can't. Police will be on a wild goose chase. We are not sure what they have against us. We can't be sure that if we may have left any clues for them."

"I can stay. I am an American tourist. I came for a vacation." Shivapriya backed Balan. No one knows her. No one would doubt her. She arrived in Kerala last night. She wasn't even in the picture when Ouseph was murdered.

Shivdas grinned. "Your local tongue sucks. Besides you cannot talk or ask anyone about the current scenario in the state. That is high risk. So there is no point for you to stay here."

"Don't worry." She shrugged. "I am not talking to anyone. I will be strictly a tourist." She pouted her lips.

Shivdas replied, his tone firm and serious. "We need new phones and new SIM cards. We cannot use what we have now. So Shiva, you won't be able to contact us when you are here. It is not advisable to be alone here without any contacts."

"No problem brother. So I will be a free bird for next couple of weeks. You boys won't bug me." Her eyes were playful. She smiled mischievously.

"This is not America sweet heart. I can't let you roam freely without my eyes on you." Shivdas was in no way accepting that. He wanted his little sister safe by his side.

"Come on brother. I want to see the beauty of Kerala; the world is so much talking about. Let me enjoy the God's own country." She pleaded. He could see how much she wanted that.

"Where there are gods, there are devils too. So I am sorry I can't accept this. You can't stay alone, you can't travel alone. Just understand me dear."

"I know a place where I can stay. You too know I will be safe there." She shrugged.

Both Shivdas and Balan knew the place but they couldn't accept that. Balan decided to keep silent when the siblings were arguing. That was the best thing he could do.

"No way." Shivdas shook his head in denial. "We can't let our guards down until the air is clear. And besides you will risk our local contact. The repercussions will be beyond our expectations."

"Balettan please." She looked at Balan expecting he would support her.

He looked at Shivdas but kept silent. He was in two minds and decided to go on in the brother's favour.

"Something's are worth waiting for dear."

"Don't dear me." She said angrily. "I am not a child. I have waited nineteen years."

"Well, a couple of days more, maybe a week. Let the storm pass." Shivdas kneeled before her. He took her hand and gently patted. Then he looked straight into her eyes and said rigidly. "We need to find who plotted against our father. We need to know why they killed our parents. We need to know why we had to live like orphans. We need to know why we were been apart for nineteen years. Shiva, please. We have no idea if any CCTV has captured you with Thomas." His eyes were on her, unblinked.

A drop of tear ran down her cheek.

He raised his hand and wiped the tear drop. "Hey, no." His voice was calm. "Spend some time with me Shiva. It's been nineteen years."

He stood up and walked a few steps back as if he wanted to hide his emotions.

Shivapriya stood up from the bed and rushed towards him and engulfed him in a warm hug. "I won't leave you again."

Balan watched the touching moment with moist eyes.

"But you have to promise me one thing." She demanded.

"Anything under the stars." He gave his word.

"Once this is over, you will tour me entire Kerala."

"I promise." He kissed her forehead.

"Shiva" He called.

"Yes." Both of them looked at him.

"It is good that your father named you Shivdas and Shivapriya. It is easy to get attention with one name." he joked.

The Shiva siblings smiled back. Shivapriya's hands were still wrapped around her brother.

"What is the next step?"

Shivdas didn't say a thing. He took out the mobile and messaged someone. They waited for the reply. After few seconds he received a call. The call lasted few minutes.

He looked at them and said. "Rudra has escaped. He is on the run."

"Do you think the police will track him?" Shivapriya asked.

"I know where he will go. We can find him." Balan assured.

"We need to find Rudra first." Shivdas said.

They agreed.

"Shiva, check when is the train departure to Mumbai." He told his sister.

She immediately took her phone and started searching. After a few minutes she replied. "There is a train at 9.50 am from Trivandrum central. Train number 16346, Netravati Express. It will reach at Lokmanya Tilak Terminus in Mumbai by 4.40 pm tomorrow. Almost 31 hour's journey."

"Perfect. We have enough time. I will get the tickets soon. You guys meet me at the station."

"You are going now?" She asked.

"Yes just after I freshen up. You guys clear everything here. No traces."

"Day after tomorrow I will get new phones and SIM cards from Mumbai." Balan gave the assurance.

"So our next stop is at Mumbai, the financial capital of India." Shivapriya was excited. "I want to visit the Gateway of India."

"Let's meet our big brother first." Shivdas smiled.

*****-----*****

To be continued.....

*****-----*****

Let me know what you think about this chapter in the comments below. I appreciate your feedback. Hearing reactions and suggestions from readers is the most rewarding part about writing.

Thank you so much for reading

Harry Raphel

*****-----*****