Chapter 13

"Nurse" I scream, "No, no, no" I shake her hand continuously, "Come back"

"Please leave dear" the nurse says. I protest but some other nurse takes a hold of my hand and leads me out.

I can't breathe. Jo tries to calm me but she gives up after I don't. I'm pacing back and forth and each time I walk up to the mirror of her room, I can't see anything.

After about an hour, Dr. Anu comes out and I feel a sign of both relief and fear. Only because I don't know my fate is unknown.

"Is she okay?" I ask.

I watch her take off her coat and give it to one of her nurses. She also hands them a file and gives instructions concerning something.

"Is she-" I'm quickly interrupted by her response.

"Yes darling" she placed her hand on my shoulder, "we've been able to revive her but unfortunately, she's still not awake but it's better than knowing she's dead" she gives me a weak smile.

I smile back and Jo comes to give me a hug. She offers to stay at home with me for the night just so I don't feel lonely or sad. She says we're going to have a girls night in.

On our way home, we stop by and get some snacks and it's about 9pm. I take out the keys from my purse and I can't wait to take a shower.

When we both get in, I take a shower and change into some comfortable clothes and so does Jo.

"What movie are we watching? There's Ouija, Daniel isn't real and" she says extends her stress on d, "Well, only those two"

"I'm not watching horror" I laugh, never again. The last time, it didn't end well.

I was about to bring out some movies for us to watch when the house phone rang. The only people who had that number where Jo and Steph, and Jo is already here. I walk over to the other side of the living room knowing that maybe she wants to update me on the situation with my mum.

"Hello"

*silence*

All I hear is shuffling like it's a bad network and the person on the other line is super quiet.

"Steph? Are you okay?" I ask looking at Jo. She sends me a questioning look and I shrug it off, not knowing what other reply to give.

I'm about to cut the call when I hear the voice of the person on the line and it's not Steph.

"Ada?" It's a masculine voice and it startles me. I'm about to be the disobedient child who's talking to strangers, but then again, I have always been disobedient.

"Who is this?"

The line goes silent again and the line I dropped. People are so rude these days, wasting 20 seconds of my life only to call my name. The nerve of this people.

I walk up to Jo and sit Indian style facing her. I decide what movie we watch and half way into the movie, we agree, it's pretty boring and we decide to move on.

"I think you should go back to therapy" Jo says, "It'll be good for you. All this bent up anger and frustration in you, needs to skedaddle" and we both laugh.

"I'm serious though", she continues, "it'll be good for you"

"Now, you sound like my mother" I scrunch up my face and pretend to gag.

She smacks my hand playfully knocking over my own bowl of popcorn.

"Hey!"

"Shh, I'm watching a movie" she whispers.

The nerve of this girl. I can't help but mentally laugh.

"You know you're a good person, you're so good but so rude to everyone else. The world isn't so hard Adanna. It really isn't. You just need to find your place in this crazy world and move with it."

"Look at you sounding all motivational" I whine while throwing some popcorn at her.    I think about it though, even though I totally hate the idea of going to therapy again. Firstly, I reluctantly didn't attend therapy for about two weeks and I had a major fallout with my doctor the last time I attended. So yes, there are a million reasons why I just present a fake smile to this idea.

"Before I forget", she pulls out a paper from her pocket, "Here".

"What's this?" I say while unfolding the paper, "An art class"

"Yeah, it's supposed to start in about two weeks and you're going"

"I'm going?" I look at her hysterically, "you can't be talking to me" and I laugh sarcastically and hand her back the flier.

"I said you're going"

Wow. Bossy much.

I agree only on the terms that I'll read about it before making my choice about it. Damn. I was trying to escape from the real world and here's my friend, happily guiding me towards it.

After movie night, Jo fell asleep somewhere in between. I guide her upstairs to my room and I come back downstairs to clean the room before I go to bed.

I pack all of our snack wrappers in the bin and I take a brush and dust pan to sweep all of the crumbs. I take the remote and put off the tv and arrange the cushions properly.

I decide to take a drink in the kitchen and lounge on the counter. I take the drink sip by sip laughing at funny videos on Tik tok even though, I quite frankly believe that app is overrated.

*one new message*

My notification bar pops up and I don't get as much texts seeing as I don't have any friends. Come to think of if, maybe art school might be good for me. I could make friends and....well no. Friends are just going to leave me, they're going to make fun of my dyslexia and they're just going to walk away just like my mom tried to do and my dad did.

I shake all the thoughts out of my head and I open up the message. It's from an unknown number, no guess there.

From: Unknown

22:45pm ~ You sound just like your mother.

Okay rewind. What the hell. Who's this creep. This must be the number that called me. I soon remember the day I was being stalked but that day was such a blur I couldn't believe it was true. I thought it was all a dream so maybe this is too.

Plus, this could be from anyone. My grandparents, who should be dead or my aunty, maybe my mom isn't an only child after all.

I freak out a little and decide it's best I go to sleep when I hear a knock at the door.

*******
Okay so, I realized most of you like conflict. But let's have some moments of love and light, well not until she opens that door.

I have nothing to say today so.

Yes, unicorn power and fried potatoes [I found what to do with all those potatoes you guys threw at me in the last chapter ;) ]

~ Ugo