E L E V E N

☽ ☽ ☽

☽ ☽ ☽

A paper airplane hit Draco in the back of the head as he sat on the living room floor studying his potions textbook.

"Seriously, Potter?" He snapped, picking it up and unfolding the paper.

To D
I think I like you
H

Draco smiled. He picked up the quill he had been using to underline important bits in his book. He flipped the paper over and scrawled down a message.

To H
I like you too, idiot
D

He crumpled the paper into a ball and threw it behind his head. He was satisfied when he heard it make contact with something solid.

"Ow, Draco. That hit my face."

Harry meticulously flattened the paper, not wanting to tear it. He too smiled at the note, and placed it in his jeans pocket.

It had been just over a week since Draco had confided in Harry. Since then, Harry had decided that he wanted to save Draco. He wanted to protect him. He wanted to steal him away and take him to some tropical island where nobody would ever find them.

They had also had two lessons since that cool spring morning. Both had been with McGonagall. Both had been incredibly dull.

Harry had received a reply from Hermione and Ron, as well. His heart had swelled with joy when Hedwig came tapping at the window. They wrote about how terribly they missed Harry, how boring classes were, (Don't listen to him Harry, they've been so engaging! Hermione had written above Ron's messy handwriting. Harry could imagine her elbowing Ron away from the paper to interject.) They also told Harry how tense things were at Hogwarts. How on edge the entire staff and student body was. Apparently Dumbledore was hardly around anymore.

Harry wished he could be there with them. This was the longest he had gone without seeing his best friends since he was 11 years old.

He thought back to the beginning of the school year. If someone had told him then that he would not only live with Draco for months, but that he would come to enjoy it, he'd have told them they're barking mad. He glanced over to the blonde boy on the floor in front of him. They had their ups and downs, so many downs, but he cared for him. Harry slipped off the sofa and came to rest behind Draco, his legs on either side of him and his chin on the Slytherin's shoulder.

"Enjoying yourself?" Draco drawled.

"Mmhhmm... How's the essay coming?"

"I haven't quite started." Draco said with a sigh. "I'm just reviewing a few things first. I want to make sure I have everything correct."

"Of course you do." Harry wrapped his arms around Draco's waist and immediately felt him relax into his embrace.

"It would do you well to put in some effort too, you know."

"I've always been shite at potions, you know that." Harry said with a soft chuckle.

"Well, you have all the free time in the world right now, you could at least try to improve."

"You're good enough at it for the both of us." Harry placed a gentle kiss on Draco's neck, loving the way he hummed with pleasure at the touch. "How are you feeling? Easter break is in a few days. They'll be expecting you, won't they?"

"Yes, they will be. I imagine they've noticed my absence by now, what with not responding to their owls and such." Draco was tense, and Harry felt the way his breathing became rapid. He rubbed slow circles on the blonde's thigh in an attempt to soothe him.

"You're here though, with me. You're safe."

"We can't stay here forever, Harry." Draco said softly.

"Why not? We could hide away here until the end of time, if we wanted to." Harry pulled Draco even closer to him.

"Real life is out there waiting for us. Whether we like it or not."

•••

Draco had taken to sleeping in Harry's room, not that he minded. It was comforting to have someone next to him. It helped to keep away the nightmares. Both boys were sleeping better than they ever had before. Draco usually fell asleep first, likely because Harry had a habit of running his fingers through his hair, or lightly dragging his fingertips up and down his back. Draco looked so lovely when he was sleeping. No worry in his eyes, no trace of anxiety in his expression. Harry felt as though he could stay like this forever, holding Draco as he slept.

Harry's thoughts were interrupted by a tapping on the window. He could see an owl on the ledge, illuminated by the light of the moon. Gently shifting Draco off of himself, Harry crept over to the window and slowly pushed it open, wincing when it creaked. The owl ruffled its feathers and stuck out its leg. Harry had never seen this owl before, and he didn't think Ron and Hermione would've been able to answer his last letter that quickly. He untied the envelope and stroked the owl's head. As it flew off into the night, Harry rested his elbows on the windowsill and opened the letter.

Harry,
I want you to have your things packed by tomorrow evening. I will be coming around 8pm to collect you. Again, I implore you to keep this quiet. I will explain everything to Draco once I arrive.
-Dumbledore

Harry felt himself begin to sweat from nerves. He had absolutely no idea what was going to happen tomorrow night. Another thought came to him. He didn't know when he would see Draco next. Somehow Harry knew he wouldn't be returning to the cabin he had began to consider their home. With a heavy heart, he returned to bed. He pulled Draco close, trying to savour the little time they had left.