DIG UP HER PAST

A week had passed since Xiu Ying was brought to the Seventh Prince's mansion. She remained in a coma, her face pale, her breathing shallow. Each night, the security around the mansion was reinforced, a silent testament to the ongoing threat. With the dawn of each new day, the bodies of fallen assassins, their lives extinguished in the defense of the unconscious woman, were discovered scattered around the grounds. Even the Emperor had dispatched soldiers to bolster the defenses, recognizing the gravity of the situation. Other princes, driven by a mixture of concern and ambition, arrived under the cloak of night, their motives twofold: to protect the young woman and to hone their skills against the relentless assassins.
***

JING YI POV

After carefully wiping her face, I tucked the blanket around her, a sense of protectiveness washing over me.

"Sixth Prince is here!" The announcement came from the doorway, a hushed whisper.

Before the door fully opened, I bowed my head, my heart pounding in my chest. I heard footsteps, steady and deliberate, approaching the room.

"Rise," the Sixth Prince commanded, his voice calm yet laced with authority.

I rose to my feet, standing to the side, my gaze fixed on him. He approached my Lady, stopping beside her, his eyes fixed on her face. He stood there, silent, for a long moment, his gaze intense.

"How is she?" he finally asked.

"She's fine, Your Highness," I replied.

He sat down on the bed behind her, his presence a calming influence in the otherwise tense atmosphere.

"She truly is different," he said, his voice a low murmur. "Beautiful, yet cold and fierce. I fear one day, blood will flow through the land to claim her. She is one of a kind, isn't she?"

"My Young Lady is a beauty beyond compare, Your Highness," I said, my voice filled with pride. "Nothing can match her."

I noticed a subtle shift in my Lady's demeanor. She clenched her fist, her brow furrowed, and beads of sweat appeared on her forehead. She was having another nightmare.

"Don't leave," she murmured, her voice barely a whisper.

The Sixth Prince, his keen eyes observing her, heard her words. "What's happening to her?" he asked, his voice laced with concern.

"She has nightmares every night, Your Highness," I replied.

Tears welled up in her eyes, and she began to sob softly. The Sixth Prince smiled sadly, his eyes filled with empathy. He reached out, gently wiping away her tears. "Nightmares, nightmares that make her cry like this... it must be so painful for her." He looked at me, his gaze unwavering. "You may go. I will watch over her tonight."

I bowed deeply, my heart filled with gratitude. I left the room, my mind swirling with thoughts about the Sixth Prince. Prince Li Nuan, they called him, Dawn Warm. He was a powerful figure, a rival for the throne, strong, handsome and generous, yet undeniably dangerous. He was a man who would stop at nothing to achieve his goals, a man who would sacrifice anything to claim what he desired.

PRINCE LI NUAN

I sat beside her, my gaze fixed on her sleeping face. The palace feast, a whirlwind of intrigue and spectacle, had been a blur, all but eclipsed by the moment I saw her. Her face, her eyes, her spirit, everything about her had captivated me. She was no ordinary woman, the relentless pursuit of assassins a testament to her value, her danger. Tears welled up in her eyes, a silent testament to the nightmares that haunted her. I gently wiped them away with my thumb, a pang of sadness twisting in my heart. Do you remember me, Young Lady? I am the one who used to play with you, the one who chased you through the gardens, the one who shared your laughter. You are different now, the warmth of your eyes replaced by a chilling coldness, your smile transformed into a smirk, your once joyful spirit burdened by a heavy seriousness.