Empty Victory

Warning: This chapter contains mild
blood and violence

~ ~ ~

It was over. Finished.

Ganon had finally been defeated, vanquished forever, never to terrorize Hyrule ever again. The apocalyptic prophecy was no longer a threat.

With that nightmare now in the past, it was all peaceful and quite. The soft breeze blew against the grass in the fields which willingly bent at its will. Gorgeous, wild flowers swayed from side to side in companionship. Up above, the bright sun shone in all its glory upon the world below, warming up the surroundings that cried out in hunger for more. Truly, it was the most perfect atmosphere one could ask for.

Not a bird chirped. Not a single deer roamed nearby. No life in sight. Only nature and dead silence met her eyes, as it should be.

Zelda's golden hair flowed freely in the direction of the gentle gusts of wind, just like ribbons hanging from a stick, beautifully reflecting the sun's rays. Her dress, though still recognizable as one of royalty, lay tattered and stained on smooth skin. She raised her head and gazed longingly at the blue sky above, small clumps of clouds dotting it in various patterns. The imagery looked lovely and especially refreshing to behold. The air's sweet fragrance sent calm chills throughout her fragile body.

"Beautiful." She thought, eyes glimmering for a second. Only a moment.

The Hylian Princess lowered her head and stared at the rock she was perched on, studying it like a bored child. Well, to be sincere, it wasn't exactly a rock. It was more like... a large chunk of stone debris that managed to branch off a pillar or chimney, a grim reminder of the brutal event that took place earlier that day. Even now, they failed not in tormenting her soul.

Here, Zelda felt her lips quiver uncontrollably, tears swelling up in those weary eyes. Her heartbeat once again quickened as all the thoughts and memories came back together like a tightly knit blanket.

Now. Now they bother to come. The emotions nobody wants a part in. Why couldn't they just leave a failure to her solitude? Why punish her further... hadn't she suffered enough? Pain. Agony. Sorrow. Were they even relevant anymore?

She dared not to look, to witness once more, but... slowly turning aside, her gaze was met with Link's fallen figure, stretched on a toppled pillar. Lifeless.

He was laid out in a resting position, his mangled hands placed against his abdomen which was covered by a blood-stained cloak. His eyes were closed shut, except for his mouth which gawked slightly... yet, she couldn't help but notice a peaceful expression encompassing his face. He looked... happy. Content.

Zelda rose up from her current spot and sat down next to the fallen hero's head. With trembling hands, she took his hands in hers and gently kissed them. They were cold to the touch. In fact, his entire body had already taken a pale appearance.

"Oh L-Link... Link...." The Princess murmured quietly as she lay her head atop his now-still chest.

She wanted to feel his heartbeat. Just once... one more time. Never in her life had she felt so alone and empty... depraved of... life.

* * *

It was getting darker by the second, and the nightmare was showing no sign of ending. If only it were a nightmare.

The last of their guards had been brutally slaughtered by the Guardians roaming the surroundings which now seemed to increase in number, leaving Zelda and Link on their own in a sea reeking with death.