Chapter 5 - What A Tease

I’m not going to deny it, when Jack called me a dumb f*ck I was a little hurt. I don’t know why that single comment hurt me so much out of everything else he’d said though, I guess I thought that I’d got through to him but he had to be rude to me in front of Cam which irritated me the most. I could have handled the situation when Nash came in better, but I decided to be like that to prove to Jack that when he didn’t care; I didn’t care. I was going to crack him for sure.

Jack clenched his jaw and I saw him tense slightly. 

“Hey, nice to meet you.” Nash suddenly said, offering for Jack to shake his hand.

Jack did so, though he was hesitant and from what I could see there was pain in his eyes. I felt a little bad, I mean Jack was a prick and I could easily insult him but this was the only time where I could see that he was hurt in someway.

“Jack.” He finally replied and smiled slightly.

“Sorry babe, the door was open.” He leaned down to kiss me. I felt awkward kissing him in front of Jack. He just looked down as if he hadn’t seen.

About an hour had passed and Nash and Cam finally went upstairs to play xBox or something, they asked Jack if he was interested but he declined. I had no idea why, he used to be quite good at it. I walked into the kitchen where he was leant against the counter, not doing anything.

“Hi.” I finally said at last.

“Hey.” He replied and awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck. This is when he went back into dick mode.

He pulled his phone out. “You didn’t tell me you had a boyfriend.” He said not looking up from the screen. He wasn’t doing anything on his phone at all, just scrolling through his apps, this was one of Jack’s: ‘I’m gonna pretend not to care by getting my phone out and pretending to do something on there because I’m an ass.’ actions. 

I shrugged my shoulders. “It obviously never came up did it? I had no reason to tell you anyway.” I said opening the fridge.

Jack didn’t say anything for a while. “He didn’t kiss you like I used to though.” He said quieter than the rest he’d said.

I froze. Just froze. I can’t believe that he mentioned ‘us’ again, our ‘thing’. Why would he do that? “It doesn’t matter.” I said shutting the fridge and turning around. 

“Why not?” He put his phone away. 

“Because… I was just another one of your toys, you played with me when it was convenient for you, but when you got bored you just… threw me out of your pram or something..” I had to make the whole toy thing work, I had to.

He laughed under his breath at my toy reference. “It wasn’t like that with you, you know I had to move away.”

“You probably don’t even remember my name Jack.”

“Of course I do, Regan. I used to call you Ræ for short though.” He genuinely smiled again, which only made my mouth curve into a smile.

We didn’t say anything for a couple of seconds to what seemed like forever.

“You don’t love him though.” Jack said, looking at me awkwardly.

“Excuse me?” I gasped, starting to get really aggravated. Who was he to decide that I didn’t love my boyfriend? 

“Oh come on, I bet you haven’t even been together for two months.” He went on.

He was right, me and Nash had only been dating a few weeks. “Who cares?” I asked clearly annoyed by his presence now. “No, why do you care so much?.” I pleaded, turning it around on him.

“I don’t.”

I scoffed and our small disagreement was interrupted by Nash coming down. “Oh, hey guys.” He said nervously, noticing it was clear he’d interrupted us. “You guys okay?” 

I nodded solemnly, I had nothing to say. 

Jack looked at me, “When you and me where-“

Oh God, he was going to bring us up again, I flinched slightly.

Talking.” He continued, “When me and you were talking… We were just talking, that’s all.” He smiled nervously at Nash.

It was about thirty minutes later and Mom and Dad were due in an hour. Everything was cleared up, we’d done pretty well. 

“That’s the last one.” Jack said as he passed me a red cup. Our fingers touched, and I immediately dropped the cup. We both laughed slightly.

Our finger tips were millimetres away, and that’s when Jack clung onto my hand, intertwining our fingers. He leaned in, “I have to go.” He whispered, our faces inches apart. He let go of my hand and left. What a tease.