04. Do You Trust Me?

FOUR DO YOU TRUST ME?

The first few days of classes for Eurydice's sixth year at Hogwarts were unequivocally some of the most boring days she had ever experienced. Nothing had really changed since last year except Snape had become the new Defense Against The Dark Arts professor and now, she was stuck with some new guy for Potions. She really didn't have to take Potions this year, but it was one of her favorite subjects and she was pretty okay at it so she might as well have something to kill the time. It wasn't like there was much to do around Hogwarts before Quidditch season started anyway.

Eurydice was watching with careful eyes as Hermione was explaining what one of the potions Slughorn brewed was, "It's rumored to smell differently to each person, according to what attracts them. For example, I smell freshly mown grass and new parchment and spearmint toothpaste--"

The girl blushes as if she just remembered something she shouldn't have shared and steps back. No one comments as Slughorn continues with what it was he was saying.

"Now, Amortentia doesn't create actual love, of course. That's impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. For that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room."

Subconsciously, Eurydice had stepped forward. She wasn't leaning into the wafting steam as eagerly as some of the other girls in the class, but she certainly could smell the potion. It smelled like the air after a rainstorm, a warm fireplace, and -- Slughorn slammed the lid down on the cauldron before she could fully identify what she was smelling. She cleared her throat and stepped back, trying not to seem as into the love potion as the others. It wasn't that she was any better than them for not wanting to indulge in a love potion, she just preferred not to possess whatever knowledge the Amortentia would reveal to her. Besides, she already knew who she loved. Not that it mattered anyway.

Slughorn revealed what their assignment would be and whoever could brew the best Draught of Living Death would win a vial of Liquid Luck, but Eurydice already knew she would win no such thing. She didn't mind though, as she worked carefully with Hermione by her side. She ducked as Ron had tried to cut his Sopophorus bean, but the pressure from the knife had caused it to rocket across the room. Eurydice chuckled quietly, sharing a small glance with Hermione as the bean nearly hit Katie Bell in the head.

"So --" Hermione turned to speak to Eurydice until she noticed that Harry had managed to get the juice from his bean with ease, "Hey! How did you do that?"

Harry shrugged, "Crush it. Don't cut it or else you'll end up with a bean-shaped bruiselike Katie just did."

Eurydice snickered at this, making brief eye contact with Harry as Hermione argued with him, "No. The instructions specifically say to cut."