eight

"michael, faster!"

"god, luke, i'm trying! it's not working!"

"just.. do it harder!"

i groaned in frustration to michael who was trying to fix the jammed soft serve machine. of course it had to break on a super hot saturday.

the line of customers was out the door and they violently tapped there feet on the floor.

"i can help anyone who just wanted to order a regular ice cream!" i called out to the crowd and a few people walked up to the counter.

"woah, they can't cut in front of us! we've been waiting for ten minutes!" an angry dad yelled, throwing his hands up.

"sir, i apologize, what was it that you wanted to order?" i asked, trying to stay calm. the little malfunction in one machine could mess up the whole day of work.

"i want to get three chocolate dipped cones." he stated, looking down at the three kids that surrounded him.

"well, in order to get those to you, we need the soft serve machine and that's currently not working, but I'm sure it'll be working in.." i looked towards michael for an answer in minutes but he just ignored me. "no more than five minutes."

"yeah, well, it better be, or else i'll write you a bad review online." he huffed and i heard michael scoff.

it had been an entire week since the kiss/makeout session/weird thing happened between me and michael. and it was extremely awkward when we were alone(well, for me at least) but luckily since the weather was getting hotter by the minute, we were swamped with customers almost all day. and by all day, i mean all day. summer break started in australia, which meant that i could now work eight to ten every day. even though that was completely unfair, michael was doing it too.

"why don't you ever hire more people?" i asked him one day, and he just laughed.

"i'm too lazy to deal with interviews and working out paychecks and all of that other shit." he snarled at the thought of having to do other work besides scoop ice cream.

"why did you hire me, then?" i asked curiously.

"hmm." he hummed, looking me up and down before going back to work.

"fucking finally!" michael yelled out, which made many parents gasp in offense.

"it's working?!" i was excited about the thought of giving the rude old father his ice cream so i wouldn't have to hear his obnoxious huffing and puffing.

"yes! victory!" he high-fived me before starting to make the three chocolate dipped cones.

the day went by somewhat smoothly besides that, if you discount the fact that we had no breaks and had to eat ice cream while helping customers so we could at least have 'lunch'.

"busy day." michael sighed, taking his apron and visor off and roughing up his hair.

"yeah, i'm exhausted." i said, turning the 'open' sign to 'closed'.

"well, i hope you're not too exhausted.." he added, taking the money out of the tip jar and dividing it into half.

"why?" i asked, watching him count the coins and dollars.

"because ashton-you know ashton, right?" he cut himself off and i nodded. "he's having a party tonight. his parents are on a trip or something cliche like that. wanna come?" he invited as he shoved some coins and cash my way. i didn't bother counting it then and there, but it looked to be about thirty dollars.

the money kind of distracted me, but then i thought about what michael asked. did he really invite me to his friends party? why?

"oh, i-uh, i guess that sounds fun." i coughed out, not knowing how to answer something and sound cool.

"you guess? dude, ashton's parents are rich. his mom married this producer guy a few years back and they live in a mansion. imagine all of the alcohol." michael walked around from behind the counter and placed his hands on my shoulders, shaking me.

"fine, yeah, that sounds pretty fun." i laughed, swatting his hands away from me.

"then we better be on our way, yeah?" he hit me, pulling the uniform visor off of my head and nudging me to take the apron off. i pulled it off and was about to walk to go put it behind the counter like we had been doing since it was easier to just leave the uniform there, but he snatched it out of my hand and threw it.

"you're way too slow." he laughed. "i'm just gonna shut off the lights."

i stepped out of the shop and waited outside for him. in about a minute he was back and carrying the lock for the door.

once he securely locked up the doors, he patted me on the back.

"i have a feeling that this party is going to be unforgettable." he said to himself as he started walking in front of me.

***

PARTy chapter(s) next oooooh

i don't even know what I'll have happen tbh but I'm sure I'll figure it out :~)