Until Then

"Kakashi-sensi, I love you!" Naruto exclaimed at me. His voice quivered, his eyes never leaving mine. I closed my eyes as I answered him.

"No you don't." My voice was calm, I had to be. I have to make him give up on me. If-if I didn't now, his father would never forgive me. I owe so much to him I don't think I will ever be able to repay him. But mostly Naruto, I can't do this to him. He's just started to be trusted, loved by others. His love for me will again make him an outsider, I can't make him go through that again. I won't make him feel as if no one needs him. I know someone will love all of Naruto, as will he them. And it's not me.

"But I do!" Naruto shouted. He latched onto my arm, looking up to me. Squeezing it slightly. When did this happen. I showed as much affection to him as I did to Sakura and Sasuke. Didn't I? Why would he to me...if I wasn't the one who was really there at his lowest time. It was Iruka, not me.

"No you don't." This time more sternly. Naruto's eyes started to fill to the brim with his tears.

"B-but why?" He bit his lips, looking down, yet while squeezing me. With his hair covering his eyes I could only see the tears falling from his face.

Pushing him aside I refused to answer him. What would I say? I'm older than you? I'm your teacher? Or you deserve better?

I slid the door open, stepping to the other side to the hallway. I took one final glance at Naruto. He stood gripping the ends of his orange jumpsuit. I could see him trembling. Suddenly he looked up surprised as if he knew he was being watched.

H-he smiled at me. Even while crying he took me all in. He quivered wiping his tears from his face, never had I seen his blue eyes shine so brightly.

I closed the door behind me. Would he move on now? I started walking away when I heard something.

"Until then, Kakashi-sensi."

Naruto said.

And I walked away.