01. The underdogs bite back

'' What happened this time? '' Jaemin was quiet, but I knew that he was angry. Somehow, I could always tell what he was feeling, even when he didn't say a word. It was one of the side effects of spending too much time together, next to developing a caffeine addiction. I hated coffee before I met Jaemin. Actually, I hated a lot of things before I met Jaemin. '' What happened to Rosé? Did she kill another guy that tried to hit on her? '' 

Neon lights were flashing over Jaemin's face, he was clutching the handlebars of his scooter and speeding down the streets of Kairos. I was sitting behind him and enjoying the breeze that was caressing my cheeks. I always liked riding around town on his scooter, especially on warm summer nights like this one. The air smelled like lavander, from the vapor that was rising out of the chimneys of a nearby bathhouse and resting my head on Jaemin's shoulders made me feel safe, even if we were currently on our way to cause some trouble.

'' Are you ever going to unmute our groupchat? '' Jaemin angrily mumbled and tightened his grip on the handlebars of his scooter. '' Rosé sent like twenty messages explaining the situation. Her and Jisoo were partying and minding their business when some guy tried to hit on her. She said that she wasn't interested, but he wouldn't back away, so... She broke his fingers. And laughed in his face. And called him a... short dick man. Or something along those lines. ''

I snickered in amusement. '' Serves him right. ''

'' That's what I said at first too. Turns out she forgot to mention that the dude is from Taeyong's gang. That's right. A Tiger. And the place where this whole thing happened is one of Tiger's nightclubs. So basically, she insulted him in his own turf and in front of his friends. '' 

My laughter immediately changed from amused to nervous. '' So what you're saying is... We are on our way to pick up Rosé and Jisoo's corpses. '' 

'' Probably. '' Jaemin left the main road, sped down a pedestrian street and started zig-zagging around people. He was trying to control himself but when he almost hit a hot dog stand, he couldn't take it anymore and began with his usual annoyed complaining: '' I don't know why they even went out tonight! What could they possibly have to celebrate? The water in our apartment just got cut off!  And it's all Rosé's fault too! ''

A smile tugged the corner of my lips again, even if I was a little worried about Rosé and her best friend. Things didn't sound very promising for them. Tigers were big on pride. You couldn't just insult them and get away with it. '' You need to stop complaining so much. It's not good for your health. Maybe Rosé took her knives to the club. That way, it won't be her and Jisoo that'll need saving, but the poor guy that tried to hit on her, without realising that she can easily slice him into pieces. Like sashimi. '' 

I was trying to stay positive and make jokes, but my heart still tightened when we passed under a neon blue sign with he words White Tigers Street. We were on their territory now and they weren't too keen on visitors like us. 

White Tigers Street was full of nightclubs and some of them were opened for twenty four hours a day, but the gang's real specialty was selling sex and technology. They were very good at it too. From time to time, Jaemin and I accepted different jobs from them, like protecting one of their high class escorts, so we got an idea about how they operated. One of the reasons why they were both feared and respected by the other gangs, was because of their main policy - no mercy. If you did them wrong, in any type of way, it was over for you.

'' By the way, Lin, what were you even doing when I found you? '' Jaemin suddenly asked and made me snap out of my thoughts. '' You are always on that same rooftop. ''

'' You know, the usual - contemplating my existance and jumping... Mostly jumping, '' I jokingly replied before I quickly changed the subject. ''  What about you though? You disappeared right after breakfast and you were gone the whole day. Were you buying souvenirs to bring back to the New World Order? ''