Chapter 2: Valley

As the last of the sunlight disappeared beyond the edge of the world the shadows grew and crept closer. Of course, the natural occurrence of sunset didn't affect the small cave shoved into the side of the valley as it sat like dark, gaping jaws. A few bats flew out of the opening in a hurried group, their screeches echoing around the glen. The light then, completely faded and the cave seemed blacker than ever.

Suddenly, a piercing shriek stabbed at the night and shocked the valley into dead silence.

Gasping, bob sat up and, misjudged his coordination, got his foot caught in the blanket, tumbled over the side of the bed and landed on the rooms plush carpet, thoroughly startled. Shaking away the last tendrils of sleep, bob stood and wondered about his dream. He remembered a cave and a valley and a scream. Confused, he walked into his bathroom and carefully locked the door. Double checking it was secure he slid out of his pyjamas and hopped into the shower. Clean, and now fully awake, Bob pulled on his clothes and skipped downstairs to see his uncle already at the magical table, this time with many different breakfast foods. Bob sat down and started to eat...

As the food started to clear itself from the table, Bob thought he might ask his uncle about the dream. Looking over at his uncle he disturbed the contented silence and asked "Uncle, I had a strange dream last night about a valley....?" At the word valley, his uncles eyes snapped open and stared intently at Bob, making the sentence slowly come to a stop. "Was there a cave. Bob?" Confused at the stony expression on his uncles face bob decided to drop it. "No, it was rather pretty actually." Bob gulped at the lump that had formed with the lie and tried not to give away his worry.

Standing abruptly, his uncle left the table and could be heard thumping up the stairs into his study.

Bob sat for a few more minutes before getting up too and thinking about his day. He had three more days before a tutor was coming to start lessons and he could use his time to go to the town library!! The valley couldn't have been just a dream could it? He would find it there if not from his uncle.

Quietly heading upstairs, Bob grabbed his shoes and left a note explaining his absence. Hurrying back down the stairs and out the door, Bob ran down the path and laughter bubbled from his mouth as he went.

He was so, completely happy he didn't notice the fox watching him and then slink back through the bushes, as silent as a shadow.