SEASON 1 - PART 3

The next day, Jeor Mormont, another assistant manager of the record store, pulls Jon aside for a private conversation. Being a senile old lunatic, he believed Jon's tale of a zombie and feels Jon is worthy of his esteem.

JEOR

Jon, I want to give you something. This has been in my family for over a hundred years. It is my most treasured possession. This is Longclaw.

(extends hands)

JON

It's a microphone.

JEOR

Not just any microphone. This one is crafted from Valyrian steel. I cannot tell you how many rap battles I have won with this. I had hoped to pass it down to my son, but he only wanted to use it for karaoke. Karaoke?

(frothing up)

Can you imagine? It'd bad enough he can't sing, but his song selections? And he was making up his own lyrics!

JON

I don' know what to say...

JEOR

I mean, the words are right there on the monitor. How hard is that to follow?

(wipes away tear)

This is my most sacred possession. I want you to have it because I know can be trusted to give it the respect that it deserves.

Jeor appears to hear a voice, responds to an unheard question, and wanders away. One of the other criminals in the shop asks to see Longclaw, so Jon gives it to him, and the other convicts start playing catch with it, dropping it infrequently as possible to give it the respect it deserves. Benjen comes in like a buzzkill and tells them to stop throwing shit around his shop as it is a place of business. Benjen sits Jon down to try to provide him the tools he will need in life. Although Benjen advocates for reintegrating criminals back into society, he does fear The Wall of Sound being associated with murderers.

BENJEN

Jon, you need to look to the future. Start by making a five-year plan. Where you want to be five years from now?

JON

(loudly)

Living in my mansion.

BENJEN

Jon, you don't need to use the microphone. I'm sitting right in front of you. How are you going to get a mansion?

JON

I'll probably be rich and famous.

BENJEN

Okay, sure. How is that going to happen.

JON

I don't know, but everyone says I have a lot of potential.

BENJEN

Sure, and you're a prince of a guy—

BRAN

The prince that was promising...

BENJEN

Bran, not now. But how is that going to make you rich and famous?