Chapter 18.

The train ride over to Nevada was a quiet one. These days transportation speeds have increased. We're now expected to reach Nevada in less than five hours. Cece hasn't spoken a single word since departing our apartment in Seattle.

So much had just been flung on me today and I hardly got an explanation. Cece had been purposely placed to watch over me. Our friendship was fabricated by the government. I felt vulnerable, with the heavy truth that sat fresh in my mind. Who could I trust now? My life feels like a complete lie. What happened back on the planet I had journeyed to? How come my memories were erased but not Ben or Idara?

Thousands of questions remain unanswered as we travel across a bridge. The sky is a bright blue color painted with fluffy clouds. Besides me Idara focuses on a thick book with no cover or title.

Across from me sits Cece who I can barely look at. She's focused on her phone, with her earbuds stuck in her ears. Then there's Ben who sits in the seat beside her focused on the scenery outside.
He looks deep in thought, rather than taking the mountains in front of him. Ben taps his black shoe quickly as if he's anxious. He's dressed the nicest out of all of us. Idara still wears her jogging suit from this morning.

"How come you aren't a scientist anymore? I understand the public thinks you're dead but you've changed your name?" Ben snaps away from his trance as I speak. "I'm Charlie Young now but I'll always be Benjamin Dameon Fitzgerald the lll," Ben whispers with a stiff expression. I laugh at his name. "That's quite a name."
"She used to think so." He shrugs awkwardly, not looking at me in the eyes. "How'd you decide on Charlie Young? If I had a fancy name like yours I'd never be able to part with it."

All of a sudden I notice his face grow sad. "I wanted an admirable nom de plume when I was told to change my identity. Our late professor's name was Charles Young, so furthermore you have Charlie Young." Ben leans back against the soft fabric.

"I'm sorry for your loss. I did some research on him yesterday after I ran into Idara. He seemed like an intelligent man with a kind heart." I say kindly. Ben nods still not looking me in the eyes. He's barely looked at me since we left the apartment. Whatever our relationship was all those years ago my absence has affected him greatly.

I can't help but feel bad for a man who's only a stranger to me. A strong connection hovers between us yet I don't know why. I just wish I had my memories so I could come out of the darkness that I'm trapped in.

"What do you do now?" Ben breaks the silence. "Me?" He nods. "I'm a journalist, apparently not a good one though. I quit when I found out that all my boss wanted to do was sleep with me. That was the only way to get more viewers on my stories." Anger boils up inside me just thinking back to that frustrating day.

"I'm sorry to hear that. You're smarter than you or anyone is aware of. Jenna was a damn good biochemist. She was the best on our team and everyone who witnessed her work was jealous." He rants on.

"Even you?" I ask. "Especially me." His piercing, blue eyes meet mine for a split second, before breaking away. "I'm sorry," he apologizes before standing up quickly, rushing down the aisle with red eyes. My heart sinks, I should've kept my mouth shut.

"It's not your fault. Seeing you is hard for him. Ben cared for you a lot before we were all split up.
Probably even more than you were aware of before your memories were washed. " Idara confesses to me with a sunken look.

"Why were we split up?" I ask intensely. "That's a story for another day. Hopefully, your friend Cecilia over here will help get your memories back. I've missed my best friend." She smiles down at me. Cece looks up at both of us.

"I can't make any promises Bassey, you know that." Cece crosses her arms with a discomforting look. "You better keep on to Area 51's promise of hurting you and your family. If you don't help get Jenna's memories back then you'll have to worry about something worse than you and your family's safety," warns Idara.

"Tread lightly," Is all Cece lets out before slipping her earbuds back in. Idara gives me a slight nod before returning to her book.

An hour later we rode into our destination at the train station in Nevada. I've never been to Nevada before but I now wish I had. Its mountains are breathtaking. My curious eyes gaze around at the few houses and buildings that surround us.

"He's here." Idara checks her phone. Who's here? Who are we meeting? My question is soon answered when I'm introduced to a tall and muscular man. "Gwen Day, it's a pleasure to meet you." The man shakes my hand firmly. His lack of confidence appears to halt him in place. He watches me carefully with brown eyes.

"I'm Elliot Marshall." He's one of the astronauts in Mission Avani. "These three gentleman are in the same case you're in. They have no memories and we hope all of that can change soon enough." Elliot illustrates to me.

"That's wonderful but what's your plan for retrieving our memories? How do we get our memories back without Area 51 killing us for stepping on their property?" I question.

"Cecilia is going to get us in and bring all of your memories back. That I know for sure." Idara states. "Then let's not waste a second longer. Lead the way." Ben raises his voice, holding out a hand out to Cece.

"God, help me," pleads my friend under her breath, as she leads us on our way to the unexpected.

~
Chapter posted: 10/18/2020

Hi I hope you liked this chapter. Lately I've been running out of inspiration for this story. I have other story ideas but I want to push through and finish this story for y'all 💕